Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Severe Herniation T1
About This Forum:

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Severe Herniation T1

I am a 41 year old female. I have had cervical fusion surgery at C5-6. Lumbar fusion surgery at L5-S1. Recently a revision at L4-S1 due to non union. In 06 I had severe pain in between my shoulder blades. A MRI stated severe herniation at T1. I was referred to a thoracic neruo. At that time my symptoms were not bad enough to warrent surgery.
With the new MRI 8/2008 it showed severe herniation at T1 with severe thecal sac compression and mild cord compression.
My upper back bothers me once in awhile. Headaches. Main complaint is trouble walking. I am using a walker at the current time. I start off walking fine. Within 3 minutes I get very severe pain in my legs right to my feet. As I continue to walk it progresses. Its very sharp in nature then gets weak. I If you saw me walking you would think I had MS or something similar. My legs stiffen up. I have to drag my feet. Then my legs start to buckle. This is very painful. I rate it more painful then a kidney stone if that helps. It subsides after putting my feet up in about 20 minutes. Then of course I have the numbness and tingling no matter what I do.
I was once told from my surgeon that once the thoracic disks start affecting the legs it warrants surgery. I think its time to see the thoracic neurosurgeon again as I did not have these symptoms the first time I saw him in 06. Thats when he said it was not bad enough for surgery. The last thing I need right now is that type of surgery as i just had my revision Sept 17th and I am still recovering. Also the last thing I want is my legs going on me without notice.
Any advice medical or non medical would be appreciated concerning T1 herniations which are rare from what I read
Thank you for your time