Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Severe Herniation T1

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Severe Herniation T1

I am a 41 year old female. I have had cervical fusion surgery at C5-6. Lumbar fusion surgery at L5-S1. Recently a revision at L4-S1 due to non union. In 06 I had severe pain in between my shoulder blades. A MRI stated severe herniation at T1. I was referred to a thoracic neruo. At that time my symptoms were not bad enough to warrent surgery.
With the new MRI 8/2008 it showed severe herniation at T1 with severe thecal sac compression and mild cord compression.
My upper back bothers me once in awhile. Headaches. Main complaint is trouble walking. I am using a walker at the current time. I start off walking fine. Within 3 minutes I get very severe pain in my legs right to my feet. As I continue to walk it progresses. Its very sharp in nature then gets weak. I If you saw me walking you would think I had MS or something similar. My legs stiffen up. I have to drag my feet. Then my legs start to buckle. This is very painful. I rate it more painful then a kidney stone if that helps. It subsides after putting my feet up in about 20 minutes. Then of course I have the numbness and tingling no matter what I do.
I was once told from my surgeon that once the thoracic disks start affecting the legs it warrants surgery. I think its time to see the thoracic neurosurgeon again as I did not have these symptoms the first time I saw him in 06. Thats when he said it was not bad enough for surgery. The last thing I need right now is that type of surgery as i just had my revision Sept 17th and I am still recovering. Also the last thing I want is my legs going on me without notice.
Any advice medical or non medical would be appreciated concerning T1 herniations which are rare from what I read
Thank you for your time
1 Comment
I got this problem figured out on my own. For anyone who has read this. It had nothing to do with the thoracic disk at all. I was DX with Lerichie syndrome Usually found in males 30-40 years of age. And I am FEMALE!! So strange.
I have hardly no blood flow in either leg, and the aortic valve in the left of my stomach is almost completly blocked.
I am so glad I brought up to my ortho that I wanted to be checked for PVD. I go Tues to a top notch vascular surgeon and will be having bypass surgery hopefully by the end of the week.
I also found a article while browsing this condition. That alot of Drs that do not find anything wrong on MRI"s will just chalk up the leg pain to back pain. Oh so not true as I found in my case. Always get things checked out when you feel something just is not right.

Hope everyone is doing well this weekend.