Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Spinal Stenosis - what does "ventral impression" on the cord ...

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Spinal Stenosis - what does "ventral impression" on the cord mean?

How bad is that?  Mine shows pretty clearly it's touching my spinal cord, (the significant protrusion at C6/7), but was wondering how bad it is?  I'm beginning to feel clumsy in hands and arms along with the pain.  I have my second cervical ESI Monday and if no relief when 3rd one is done, then referral to a neurosurgeon.  I was searching the net and found what anormal spinal canal should measure.  What would mine measure if it was just touching my spinal cord - it doesn't say how much in my report (below).  I need to find this out.  

**MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast.   The vertebrae are normally aligned.  Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained.  Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus.   There is no evidence of tonsillar herniation, and the foramen magnum is normal in appearance.   There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression:  Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord.  It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root.  Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine
I do not have enough information to assist.  A doctor must perform an physical exam to correlate "how bad" things are regarding your case.  The MRI images alone are not the complete clinical picture.  

If you are having progressive problems with your hands, be sure and tell your doctor or surgeon as soon as you see them.