Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Spinal Tap complications

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Spinal Tap complications

I was diagnosed with Drug Fever from a Septra reaction and went into the emergency room where they proceeded to give me a spinal tap to rule out any other infections. I continued to have severe pressure headaches to the point that my ears were ringing. They were alleviated when I layed down. On Wednesday Oct 17th, I had a epidural blood patch to stop spinal fluid leakage. The headaches got less excruciating but they are still present and it has been 6 days after my patch and 9 days after my spinal tap. I wanted to know if the spinal fluid will eventually stop leaking and these headaches will go away or do I need to get another epidural blood patch?
I also have a lot of back discomfort especially in my tailbone area after the procedure. Will this back pain also go away eventually. Before this occured, I was highly energetic and running laps everyday. I just want to make sure that I don't have any permanent damage and will be back to normal.

Thank you for your help with my questions.

Sincerely,
susanna
You may need another blood patch to get it sealed up.  It is best if an experienced spinal injection specialist (usually an anesthesiologist) does the next one as they do injections all day long.  After the next one you may want to try fairly strict bedrest flat for several days...
Can be a frustrating problem but they eventually do seal off.
Good luck
Thank you so much for your information. I have 2 more questions:
1. If I do not do the blood patch will the leak eventually stop on it's own and how long will it take? It has been about 10 days since my spinal tap and 7 days since my blood patch.
2. Also, my tailbone feels extremely soar as if I had had an accident, sometimes it locks up and I can barely sit down. In 1994, I did have a severe lumbar sprain in that area which I recovered from and was now able to run again. Would the the blood that they injected into my spine have aggravated that injury and will another blood patch affect my back even more? I just want to know if I will be able to exercise (yoga, pilates, dance, etc.) and run again.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
susanna