Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Trying to understand my mri result..

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Trying to understand my mri result..

Just received mri results...have not had consultation with doctor yet....
The impression is this...

1. scoliosis of the lumbar spine with a convexity to the right.

2. Loss of lumbar lordisis.

3. Mild retrolisthesis of L5 over S1. Moderate diffuse annular bulge with medium sized central, right paracentral and lateral extrusion of intervening disc intenting the thecal sac and compressing the right exiting L5 nerve root. Partial obliteration of the foraminal fat is identified by this diffuse bulge more so on the right. Extruded disc fratment measures 7.93 x 4.61 mm.

4. Mild diffuse annular bulge of L4 disc intenting the thecal sac. Mild bilateral facet osteoarthropathy at this level.

5. Large uterus with fibroids.

I have had lower back pain most of my adult life due to a car accident when I was 11, and two falls that required physical therapy. The pain has worsened over the past few years, but it has gotten almost unbearable since about October. The level of pain varies from unbearable to a constant dull ache. At it's worst, there are times when I'm working and my knees just give and I have to grab ahold of something or I feel I will fall, but only lasts a couple of seconds. When it's like that, when I sit, I have problems getting up and have to use my arms to lift myself up.The pain is now starting, in the past month, to be also in my right hip area and thigh.  
My question is what sort of treatment would be expected. The pain  is not really helped by the muscle relaxers and ibuprophen. I own a barbershop and my job doesn't help me much either. Would it be unusual to actually be able to get some decent pain relief/medication with this mri result? I would like to be prescribed percocet/soma...Is this out of line with what I should have with this condition.
Also, if I understand right, this is what people call a bulging disc with a pinched nerve? Or Sciatica? Also, would my scoliosis have contrubuted to this?
Dear Friend,
Please find my answers -

The spine is normally having small curvatures and is considered to be straight.However if there is a big curvature / Bending we call it as Scoliosis.
So your spine is having a bend,whose apex is towards the right side.

2. Loss of lumbar lordisis.
        Normally the Lower spine(Called as Lumbar Spine) is having a curvature, called as Lordosis.Due to the pain, the same is lost. Hence there is a loss.

There is a shift of L5 over S1, hence it's called as a Listhesis. Since the shift is on the back side, we call it as Retro-listhesis. Sue to the same, the disc is little bit protruded and hence pressing over the Nerve.

This is related to arthritis.

5. Large uterus with fibroids.
          Incidental finding of a Fibroid inside the uterus.

I would suggest you to go for a Spine surgeon's advice and then plan the treatment accordingly.

Feel free to discuss further.
Regards..
Dear Friend,
Please find my answers -

2. Loss of lumbar lordisis.

This is related to arthritis.

5. Large uterus with fibroids.

Feel free to discuss further.
Regards..