Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Trying to understand

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Trying to understand

I really don't understand my MRI Report and I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me and what the options of treatment would be.

At 3-4 there is a desiccation of the disc with mild diffuse bulge of the disc. There is narrowing of the canal to approximately 9mm and there is spurring of the facets and end plates. There is mild narrowing of the neural foramina.

At L5-S1 there is a diffuse bulge of the disc. There is spurring of the end plates and facets. The disc bulge is most severe central with the AP diameter of the canal of only 7mm. There is marked ligamentum hypertrophy of the facets causing posterior lateral narrowing of the canal and there is only mild narrowing of the neural foramina. There is moderate to severe narrowing however of the lateral recess which may be impinging the L5 nerve roots.

At L5-S1 there is a focal area of increased signal within the left posterior portion of the disc compatible with a fissure of the anulus. There is also a left foramina spur and bulge of the disc with moderate narrowing of the left foramina. The right neural foramina are intact.
Dessication means loss of the normal water content in the disc.  Bulging means the wall bows out and can irritate a nerve or it can simply cause pain in the back.  Spurring is bone spurs that form when a disc is wearing down.  Stenosis means less room for the nerves.

Some of these may be normal wear and tear findings and some may be problematic especially the severe narrowing and L5 nerve impingement (think leg pain).  A spine surgeon can correlate the mri with your symptoms by examining you and sometimes ordering tests like selective epidural injections or EMG's.
Good luck