Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
back pain at base of spine

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

back pain at base of spine
I have had back pain at the base of my spine for over a year.  Soemtimes I cannot sleep.  Sometimes it radiates down the right buttocks and leg.  
I have had an MRI and Xrays but they didn't really show anything.  
I also have had shingles recently, and I have a place in my right buttocks where steroids shots eroided the fat and left a crater -
a dermotologist said that this was exposing nerves and causing the pain.

It comes and goes - but almost always is slightly there when I lay down.  Last night was the worst it has been ever -

Mobic, etc... does not seem to work -
Tylenol provides the most releif but not total.

Any ideas?
thanks
Sometimes MRI does show something that is overlooked or interpreted as normal by a primary doctor.  If you have not done so, consider seeing a spine surgeon to make sure no-one is missing anything.  They may also order some other tests or injections to help sort things out.
Good luck