Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
discectomy numbness

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

discectomy numbness

Had 2nd discectomy Dec. 2010 and am having new numbness in r buttocks, r shin along with pain.  Am unable to sit and am only having relief when lying on stomach.  Have had 2 MRI w and w/o contrast since surgery.  Both showed a CSF collection of 3.4 cm extending posteriorly adjacent to the spinous process of L-4.  There is no new disc herniation or central spinal canal stenosis.  During second surgery the nerve was embedding in scar tissue and during process of freeing nerve a tear resulted and there was a spinal leak.  No spinal headache as was kept overnight flat but the new symptoms of numbess and pain have not gotten better.  Could this collection be the cause of symptoms and what can be done about it.  Surgeon has admitted should be doing better but have not received any new treatment except two steriod epidurals which have not produced any results.
Dear Friend,
I hope you had a better feel after the steroid injection. But i am afraid, we really can't do too much presently due to the dense scar tissues whihc must have re-grown, over the operated area along with the CSF leakage. Pressure dressing is considered good.
How is the present condition? Please don't opt for the third procedure.
Regards
Hi oh I had 3 discectomies on L4/L5 and am in worse state now than I started with.  I also asked Abhijeet for some advice and he said do not opt for 3rd surgery.  Well I did, and now am in a prety bad state.  Had dural tear in surgery and they had to cut bone out and it was the worst feeling ever.  Please take good advice..take care..