Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
explanation of mri impression

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

explanation of mri impression

I had a back injury at work back on 6/10/08.  Since this time I've been in excrutiating pain which is relieved by narcotic prescription for about 6hrs.  The impression of my MRI states as follows:  L4-5 degenerative disc disease with a central disk protrusion deforming the thecal sac and mildly compromising the axillary root sleeves.  My spine doctor cannot seem to explain to me in laymans terms what exactly this means.  I have had a cortisone injection which increased my pain immediately 10 days ago.  I have now been referred to a spine surgeon.  Is this really the next step?  My physician has now put me on MSContin and Oxycodone and told me to apply for disability benefits that its gonna be quite awhile before I can expect realistic results.  I mean really?  I'm very nervous about all this but trust my spine doctor alot.  Any suggestions?
The pace of your narcotic escalation is concerning.  While I am sure you are in severe pain, you are being ramped up to the strongest medicines available within 2 months of your injury.  While surgery is a last resort, you must try to avoid getting tolerant to meds like oxycontin and mscontin which will happen if you continue to use them.
The injections should decrease pain, not increase it so it is clear that you have a tiger by the tail.  If your spine surgeon can not explain it to you in terms you can understand try asking around to see if anyone you know has found a good surgeon that can explain it to you.  If you are no better in 3-4 more months you may need to consider surgery.  Good luck
Thank you Doctor.  I understand exactly what your concern is about the narcotic pain medication!  I feel the same.  I have an appointment next week with the surgeon and will discuss this issue with him.  Hopefully he will be able to explain things a little more clearly to me and go over different options.  Thank you so much for your reply.
Melissa