Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
neck and spinal cord,

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

neck and spinal cord,

HI
I AM NOT MEDICALLY MINDED SO PLEASE EXCUSE ME IF I USE WRONG TERMS. I SAW AN ORTHO. SURGEON A FEW WKS AGO ABOUT SOME PROBS. THAT I HAD IN MY HANDS & NECK NUMBNESS STIFFNESS AND PAIN, I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA SO THE PAIN I PRESUMED WAS NORMAL I NOTICED OVER THE LAST 18MTHS I COULDENT TURN MY NECK VERY FAR ON FIRST MY LEFT SIDE THEN RIGHT. HE SENT ME FOR A SCAN AND SOME NERVE CONSERVATION TESTS. THEN HE TELLS ME THAT I WAS BORN WITH A NARROW CANAL?? FROM THIS i WAS SENT TO A NUROSURGEON WHO TELLS ME THAT AN OPERATION TO FREE A NERVE?? AND SHOWED ME A DISC?? AND A SPACE  INBETWEEN WHICH HAS NO FLUID AROUND ?? HE TELLS ME THIS OP. IS RISKY BUT REALLY ITS MY ONLY OPTION BECAUSE PAIN MANAGEMENT  WOULDENT WORK IN MY CASE AND THINGS WILL GO ALOT WORSE IF I DONT HAVE THIS DONE CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THIS OPERATION IS CALLED??? AND IS IT A COMMON OPERATION ??? HE SAYS i SHOULD BE HOME AFTER 2 DAYS AT THE MOST BUT i CANT DO ANYTHING FOR 4/6 WKS.  WHAT CANT i DO???
Most people do not require urgent  surgery for your condition.  Some doctors are a bit aggressive to recommed surgery and can scare patients into the operation.  The only absolute reason someone needs urgent surgery is if they have actual nerve damage of loss of nerve function.
Consider seeing an orthopedic spine surgeon for a second opinion and compare the doctors bedside manner and recommendations.