Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
swelling of lower back 3 yrs. following spinal surgery

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Thank you for answering my question.  I am a 42yr. female.  I burst my a L1 vertabrae, which required rods, and a cage for the bone graft.  I have become accustomed to the chronic pain that has resulted, but this morning I noticed a lump or swelling just below the area of the injury.  It extends from my spine over toward my right buttock.  It is very sore and extremely painful to touch. I also take coumadin, and several other meds.  

Could you tell me if there are typical problems that can occur above or below that kind of injury?  Is it possible that it is a disc issue?  
Any other ideas would be very helpful.
Thank you so much!
Dear Friend,
I would suggest you to immediately meet a good Orthopaedician's opinion.
You may be required to do a MRI scan (if titanium implants were used), else MD-CT scan can help also.
We need to look inside and see whether some disturbance inside the setup has happened or it's just swelling related to the pain only.
SO investigations only will help us.
I don't suspect any disc issue here as disc generally don't cause so much of significant swelling.
I hope you will the doctor and notify me, once done.

Feel free to discuss more.
Regards.
1 Comment
I am 26 an am six months out from anterior,posterior l4,l5,s1 fusion they also did a l 4 l 5 discectomy and used bone graft instead of inplants. I am 6,4' and 274lbs my only hobby is weight lifting and fishing.I also have bipolar 1 I've been on a downward spiral ever since surgery. I get mad and smash through walls and doors, subsequently I injure my back every time they say I'm tearing scar tissue.I want to start cage fighting to release my rage,will I ever be able to do so? I'm tired of my back pain and my surgeon just blows me off.he does not tell me my limitations. I'm in my prime I need to get physical!