Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
traumatic spinal tap

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

traumatic spinal tap

How long would blood remain in the spinal fluid from a traumatic blood tap?  Our son-in-law had a spinal tap on 9/18 and it revealed blood in the fluid.  All 4 vials taken looked the same, blood red.  The first vial had a count of 93,000 red blood cells.  Another tap was done on 9/22.  The first vial showed 16,000 red blood cells and the last vial showed 6,500 red blood cells.  The doctor who did the initial tap said it was one of the easiest he's ever done.  He has been an ER doctor for over 30 years.  I thought spinal fluid replenished every day show I'm not sure what is going on.  The
hospital doctor wasn't much help.  Thank you for any input into this problem.
I do not know the answer to that.  A neurologist could better answer your inquiry.