Back and Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Cervical Fusions Surgery or not?????

Welcome to the Back and Neck Surgery Forum! This forum is for questions and support regarding back and neck such as: Herniated disc, Pinched nerve, Sciatica, Degenerative spine disease, Spinal stenosis, Spine trauma and fractures, Spine tumors and Spine treatment options.

Cervical Fusions Surgery or not?????

Is the anyone out there with the expertise to decipher my MRI test.  My doctor is a neurosurgeon and has advised me that I will need cervical fusion surgery.  He said I shouldn’t wait and presently it’s scheduled for 3/31/11.  I have no pain in my neck or arm only some stiffness.  I have numbness predominantly in my left arm and less numbness in my right arm and have some numbness and tingling in left and right hands.  Please note that I’ve had these symptoms for about 6 years, and I’ve recently noticed the numbness is slowly increasing.  Is this surgery the best option for me??  I'm a 52 year old male.   MRI is as follows:  Marked degenerative disc disease changes with moderate to marked disc narrowing at c5-c6 and c6-c7 and large posterior disc osteophyte complex at c5-c6 with underling mild stenosis with ap diameter of the canal between 7-8 mil.  There is large hnp at c6-c7 more on the left than right there is also myelopathy at the  c6-c7 level sm hnp on right at c4-c5.  Mild to moderate spurring to right and left c6 of the uncovertebral joints into the right and left c6-c7 neural foramina and the right and left c5-6 neural foramina.   Impression: Myelopathy at c5-6 and c6-7.  Mild spinal stenosis at c5-c6 and c6-c7.  Large left hnp at c6-c7.  Prominent disc osteophyte complex both on right and left at c5-c6.  Minimal right disc.  Protrusion at c4-c5. Some spurring of the neural foramina as described above.
Dear Friend,
So did you finally underwent the surgery? I hope, if Yes, your post operative rehabilitation is going perfectly.
Please ask, in case of any issues, as a continuation of this post itself.
Regards