Back and Neck Surgery Expert Forum
MRI scan

Welcome to the Back and Neck Surgery Forum! This forum is for questions and support regarding back and neck such as: Herniated disc, Pinched nerve, Sciatica, Degenerative spine disease, Spinal stenosis, Spine trauma and fractures, Spine tumors and Spine treatment options.

MRI scan

I had a bad auto accident in Nov and after x-rays and CTon my neck A MRI was recomended. My family doc put me off work and told me not to put myself in any position to slip and fall ao hit in the head. The MRI results show the following.
APdiameter of the canal at 2-3 is only 11mm. There is a reversal of normal Lordosis. moderate narrowing of the CSF space around the cord and all levels 2-7 have moderate canal narrowing along with foramina narrowing.  At 3-4 the canal Diameter is11-12mm w/small amount of CSF around the cord. At 4-5AP diameter of 9mm and mild flattening of the cord.  At 5-6 canal is only 10 mm with only a trace of CSF anterior to the cord and none to the posterior.  At 6-7thereis mild central narrowing of the canal and Diameter is 11 mm. I get a crunchy type sound when I move my head/neck in any direction. I was having unbearable headaches until prescribed2.5mg Valium twice daily. It doesn`t stop them but helps alot with severity. Also taking flexiril. About 8 years ago I had a fusion at the l4-5 S-1 level that reallly diodn`t help alot and I take morphine twice daily. I was fairly active and worked after being off 4 years. Is my doctor overeacting and playing it safe? What is your opinion of severityof this issue? Is this a result of the accident or a combination of pre-existing and accident. Before this I can`t ever rememvber having a stiff neck.
Dear Friend,
Your treating doctor is playing safe with you. That's a good approach as he is trying to give your neck muscles , a good rest. Also he is thinking of eliminating the probability of Whiplash injury. Hence please cooperate with him and follow his advice.
The pre-existing osteoarthritis of the neck has got nothing much to do with the present condition, except the fact that it's slowing the pace of recovery.
A good physiotherapy would augment the healing process.
All the best.
Feel free to discuss further.
Regards
Thanks for your response but if it`s not too much bother, I have a couple quick questions. Is the noted problems of the CSF or lack of somethind to be concerened with? My appt with the spine clinic is in April and they are ordering a course of Physical therapy until I can get to the clinic. My concern about the pre-existing is, I am self employed and had a diability insurance and was worried about losing benefits. Somewhere down the road I will need the owner of the horse I hit to reimberse my expences. Yes, I hit a work horse int the middle of a highway at 55mph. The horse was said to weigh about 1800 pounds. Sadly the horse the horse died after it went completely over my car crushing the roof and totaling my car. I was VERY lucky to walk away and didn`t think I needed Med attention until the pain got worse over a couple days. Thanks for your time to reply.