Back and Neck Surgery Expert Forum
artificial cervical disc replacement surgery

Welcome to the Back and Neck Surgery Forum! This forum is for questions and support regarding back and neck such as: Herniated disc, Pinched nerve, Sciatica, Degenerative spine disease, Spinal stenosis, Spine trauma and fractures, Spine tumors and Spine treatment options.

A neurosurgeon has recommended artificial disc replacement surgery for my cervical spine for C5-C6 level with the prodisc. I had an MRI of the cervical spine that diagnosed this problem. I don't usually have pain because I have had this condition for five years, had physical therapy, and 3 epidurals for pain, and restrict most activities that may cause any pain. I'm the ideal candidate because I do not have other disc issues. I'm considering surgery because the condition restricts my physical activities and I tend to limit my physical activities to avoid pain. It's hard for me to perform my work with the restrictions I impose on myself to avoid pain. I fear my employer is starting to notice. I'm nervous about surgery because I think of this a major surgery and I'm concerned about pain after the surgery. Is artificial disc replacement surgery a common procedure with good outcomes? Although seldom, I also notice I get pain on my left toe and get back pain when stading long periods of time, or going up and down stairs multiple times. Is it possible that a disc herniation at C5-C6 can cause these symtoms (symptoms) also? After all,the spine is connected and I wonder if the one level cervical disc herniation is impacting all of my spine. Thanks
Dear Friend,
Artificial cervical disc replacement is an excellent option available, especially after considering the fact that you have had few shots of steroid injections.

Also as fare as the specific questions of yours, please find my answers -
1) Is artificial disc replacement surgery a common procedure with good outcomes?
    Yes, if the selection is good and done by a proper spine surgeon, then the outcomes are really good.

2) I also notice I get pain on my left toe and get back pain when stading long periods of time, or going up and down stairs multiple times. Is it possible that a disc herniation at C5-C6 can cause these symtoms (symptoms) also?
    Well, to be frank, cervical disc problem will seldom cause "TOE" problems. Hence a MRI of the lower back would be advisable.

Please remove all doubts, regarding the disc replacement surgery. THis mode of treatment is preferred, as compared to the otehr modes (like fusion) as it slows down the arthritis progression. However post surgery, proper physiotherapy would be advisable.
Please discuss, for further clarifications.