Back and Neck Surgery Expert Forum
artificial cervical disc replacement surgery
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Back and Neck Surgery Forum! This forum is for questions and support regarding back and neck such as: Herniated disc, Pinched nerve, Sciatica, Degenerative spine disease, Spinal stenosis, Spine trauma and fractures, Spine tumors and Spine treatment options.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

artificial cervical disc replacement surgery

A neurosurgeon has recommended artificial disc replacement surgery for my cervical spine for C5-C6 level with the prodisc. I had an MRI of the cervical spine that diagnosed this problem. I don't usually have pain because I have had this condition for five years, had physical therapy, and 3 epidurals for pain, and restrict most activities that may cause any pain. I'm the ideal candidate because I do not have other disc issues. I'm considering surgery because the condition restricts my physical activities and I tend to limit my physical activities to avoid pain. It's hard for me to perform my work with the restrictions I impose on myself to avoid pain. I fear my employer is starting to notice. I'm nervous about surgery because I think of this a major surgery and I'm concerned about pain after the surgery. Is artificial disc replacement surgery a common procedure with good outcomes? Although seldom, I also notice I get pain on my left toe and get back pain when stading long periods of time, or going up and down stairs multiple times. Is it possible that a disc herniation at C5-C6 can cause these symtoms (symptoms) also? After all,the spine is connected and I wonder if the one level cervical disc herniation is impacting all of my spine. Thanks