Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Band Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Band Removal

Has anyone had their lap band removed?  I am thinking about doing that because after having my band for 3 years I have gained my weight back and it is painful at times.  I really think that this is not for me.  As for those of you thinking about doing a lap band, you will loss weight but the way you eat will change forever and I feel weight loss can be achieved in a better way!  Also you can eat around the band over time meaning you will find ways to eat the foods that go down easy!  
You need to work with a dietiician and your surgeon to get the band working again.  I know where you are coming from about sabotaging my band but now I mad a deal with my psychiatrist to not eat chocolate or tim tams, I am getting help from the dietician and the gp who fills the band to get my band working for me so the weight that I had gained, is starting to come off.

Yes lap bands are a change of lifestyle and I am sure this was discussed with you by your surgeon.  You have to start to not eat empty calories and eat food that is good for you and will help get the band working again.  Good luck with it because I know where are at because my light bulb moment happened last year when I was at the gp who does the fills and she made a comment about getting the band to work and we are working on it.  Wish I had this head space when I got married in 2008 and then I would have looked better but can't be helped now.

Get some help and if that doesn't work, have the band removed.  remember you are likely to put on more weight because you have total freedom to eat.  Also becareful with any medications you are taking - some of them are very weight gaining medications and shouldn't be taken as they change your appetitie and you will eat the house out if you are on them.
Hi trishnhou, I've had my band in/fitted for over 7 years now, so I know what you mean about eating around the band. I think I've always done that always, but I have still lost 10 stones in total. I personally think If your band is filled to that (what they call)'the sweet spot' It don't really matter If you eat around the band you will still lose in the long run. I know because I have done It myself and still continued to lose stones. Please make the correct decision and good luck for the future. gilboandco.
I have had my lap band for 2 years and have gained weight.  It is coming out in 2 weeks.  I lost a good deal of weight the 1st mo. of having it and then could eat around it and have gained 20 lbs!  
I did it!!  I had my lap band removed on June 30th.  While the first 3 days were slightly sore I am now feeling much better.  I am watching every bit of food that goes into my mouth and going to start exercising next week.  For me this was the best decision that I could make for feeling lousy with the band and being able to eat around it.  
I had my lapband removed 2 weeks ago. I was so upset..as this was such a lifesavor for me as I lost 65lbs. The reason they took it out was because I was having the worst acid reflux and the band was so tight around my stomach, even without any fluid in it. I was fine for years and all of a suddent it started. I feel better now and no more reflux but miss my band so much. It would help me control my eating and I am having a hard time now as I am hungry alot..I didnt get hungry much before. If I did over eat, it came back up..not anymore...down it goes and no return!!! So scared of gaining back all my weight so started exercising this week and watching my calories and fat.
I saw your comment and wanted to say I still have my lap band but am thinking about taking it out.  My acid reflux is terrible and on my last visit the nurse practitioner suggested i have it removed.

I have had the the lap band for three years as of March.  In the beginning the weight loss was easy, but i hit a plateau.

For about a year now I have been having terrible reactions like throwing up, diarrhea, gas pains.  

My question is what complications can arise?
i had mine removed last week and the fluid cos of vomiting and constant pain even when the fluid was out, the surgeon said that when he took it out it was adhered or stuck to my stomach, straight away my ache had gone, im just being sensible now, odviously servings are up a bit, but still eating slowly, i wonder if i will ever kick that habbit!!!

despite being sore, i feel better and when i eat still a bit sore but not as bad, after i see my doc im going back onto tony furgeson, with more determination, no excuses, i dont want to go back to 30kg ago!!

i wish everyone luck
susie
I had my band removed a week ago and do feel great although very sore.  The surgeon butchered me and I have a dent in my belly now....go back to see him in 3 weeks to find out what he did.  I have had my band in since 2005 and had a band slippage fixed in 2009.  I originally lost 40 kilos in th first 2 years but with constant vomiting.  Then things changed and I have now put on 30 kilos.....he now wants me to try the new Gastric Sleeve....has anyone had this ???
hey all,

i feel heaps better now a bit over 2 weeks without the band, even downed 1kg, which i think is 3pounds, (im in australia).

just remember the sleeve is NOT REVERSIBLE, and only a few world wide can reverse it, they take part of the stomach away to make your new bit, and the stomach left over they only staple it, and a main side effect although all the research descibes it as rare, but the staples can leak gastric contents like the acid into your abdo, which is immiate operation, cos i was thinking about it, but my surgeon told me that his off sider does them but wont touch you till useally 6 months after surgery!!!

i also have a little dint from were the port was taken out, and the wound has dehised, meaning not healed, and im having daily dressings, which means i cant go back to work, as im a nurse in ICU i would be a magnet to bugs! at least the parents are letting me live rent free, and my boss is great he suggested going from part time to casual and return to normal when i feel ready like after a couple of months, but kind of need a stable income while im saving for a house!!!!!

i know what you mean, you get used to small serves and that very painful reminder if you have over eaten!

lets just keep everyone especially ourselves motivated, we all are scared about going back, but together we can do it!

have a great day
susie
i had the lap band surgury three years ago this December and i am scheduled to have it taken out today do to it being painful and i did lose weight for awhile but now i have gained 30 pounds back and my port hurts all the time and i am having some issues with things stuck i believe.
I have had the lapband for a bit more than 2 years. During the last 1 1/2 years or more, I have not felt well. A general feeling of unwellness. I am NOT depressed but I am getting depressed because I don't feel well.
I have lost 64 lbs, wanted to lose 80 so I think I have done well. The problem is the not feeling well and nothing else has been discovered so I am thinking maybe I am "allergic" to the lapband....? I think maybe it is poisoning my system....?
I am going to see my surgeon this week to talk about removing it.
Has anyone else had this problem of just not feeling well since the lapband?
I am not worried about gaining weight after because I hope I have learned how to control myself. I hope. And exercise is important. But if I do, I do. I just want to feel good, ya know??
I had to have my band removed due to a hernia. I was successful with it and miss it. I would love to have it back. To make matters worse my insurance did and will not pay for the emergency surgery. I have often wondered if there were more cases where there were issues and removal verses cases that noone had as many problems. Disappointed......
Did your insurance cover the removal of the lap-band?
I could have written your letter, because it describes my experience completely. My only complaint, (other than missing my band), is that I now have frequent odorous flatuence, something I never had before. Has anyone had this problem? I am three weeks post band removal.
I had the lap band placed in April 2012, nothing but complications. All the fluid is taken out, I continue to have reflux, heartburn, vomitting, pain in my stomach, chest and back and overall fatigue. I think that being overweight and feeling "well" far outweighs being thin and having your whole life interrupted. I would not recommend this surgery!  I am up early again as I can't sleep laying down, pain in my throat, reflux and vomitting....
I can so relate to this. I have been trying for a long time to figure out where the pain was coming from in my upper stomach. After many many tests for gall bladder issues and endoscopies for esophagus concerns, I think it's the band that's been the problem all along. I have had my band since 2006, and I started having problems within about 2 years. I had all of the liquid removed a few years ago, and I still spend EVERYDAY regurgitating food and liquid. I have barretts esophagus, GERD, chronic pain, and hours of throwing up and not being able to eat. I want this thing out, but I don't know who to go to or what to do to get it done. Help.
I am so sorry to hear about your problems with the band, but I need to tell you my story. I had the band in five years ago.  I lost 45 pounds, but had lots of issues as you described.  I had to have a port replacement two years later.  However, I feel the dr. caused the leak in the port as he would poke around until he found the area to add the saline.  Last June I became very sick.  Went to dr. in town who treated me for hpylori (borderline on test but close enought to have a prepak prescribed).  In the meantime, I ended up in ER out of town as I thought I was having a heart attack.  They ruled that out, but encouraged me to see a gastro dr. I went to see lapband dr. and his diagnosis was take out all the saline.  Went home, but called back as I really did not feel immediate relief as was told.  Went back for an endoscopy which he did, the band looked fine, but he was 99% sure it was my gallbladder so he scheduled a nuclear dye test a week later. Went home, but became deathly ill so went to ER.  Dr. ordered an ultrasound, and could see that my gallbladder was diseased.  Sent me to another  hospital (surgeon gone) for immediate surgery. Dr there suggested I have my band dr. remove gallbladder as he would not be able to take care of the band if it was in jeopardy.  Ended up with band dr. for surgery.  I asked at that time if they could remove band and was told no.   Went back for checkup and told dr. that I still felt like there was something sitting on top of my chest, horrible constant headache, I could not eat, and hardly drink so I went from 164 lbs. to 149 lbs. and my quality of life was highly affected.  He finally said, let's take the band out as it is killing you.  Dr. told me that my band and intestines were twisted together.  I don't  know why that did not show up during endoscopy; I was told there was no reason why that happened.  It's out, I have gained 20 lbs which stresses me out, but I would never have bariatric  surgery ever again.  I attribute back to back surgeries, and not being to exercise, the main cause for weight gain.  Also, in December, I did start to feel better, and my hunger returned and could not be quenched!  Oh, and insurance did pay for the removal.  My family always blamed my health problems to the band; I guess they were right.    
Reading your post it seem like you have really gone through a lot of pain and suffering.The weight loss surgery has not suited you well.What i can suggest you now is eat healthy and walk for atleast an hour a day and burn some calories by doing physical activity .
I was looking at all of the people who had lap band surgery and then years later had it removed due to pain.  I had lap band surgery in 2009 and have terrible pain in the lower part of my belly and into my back.  It keeps me from sleeping at times and I feel that I have to hold my stomach to support it so it wont hurt.  I also suffer from severe acid reflux which I saw many people do that never did before the surgery.  I want it out and I guess I will talk with my medical doctor and then she will probably send me back to the lap band doctor and I really don't want to go back to him, but don't know where else to go.  I hope you feel better.  
I had my lap band placed in August 2006.  I lost almost 100 lbs.  I didn't quite reach my goal weight.  For about 3 years now I have had severe acid reflux and constant vomiting after anything, liquid or food.  I am having my band taken out in 3 weeks.  I can't wait.  I am so tired of getting sick after every meal!
If you are near a Mayo Clinic they have an amazing Bariatric program. I have a lap band that right now feels like it is trying to burst through my abdominal wall... I was told by my new bariatric surgeon that you should NEVER be considered for lap band when you have GERD. The two are not compatible. I ended up in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack and then had erosion to my esophagus because the band was basically pushed up against my esophageal opening by the stomach acids... I am hopefully having it removed this next month. I have survived on minimal calories and only lost 30lbs. Will NEVER recommend ANYONE get a band. Mayo doesn't even offer them anymore. Get to a bariatric surgeon. Don't go to the same doc who put in the band. They won't give you the care you need to cover their own behinds...
Oh MY, I had the almost the same thing happen, I almost died from having the lap band put in. I got it back in March of 2012 and was fine up until the past six months. I was throwing up everyday. Then, I got to the point where I couldn't drink or eat anything, I felt like I had the stomach flu. I went to the ER and they said that the Lap band Nurse had overfilled my band, and that was why I had lost 60 pounds in three months. The lap band people that I went to, told me I couldn't go back until I paid them 240$ for follow up care. I am a teacher, so I don't work summers, so the nurse said I'll just fill it up so you won't have to come back for awhile. Well, I was really sick. In the end, I had emergency surgery, to remove my band. The Dr. said if I would have waited a few more days, he would of had to remove my entire stomach as it was completely black from lack of oxygen and nutrients, and or I would have died. DON"T GET IT PLEASE!!! It's not what you think. I've learned my lesson. And it's an expensive one at that.
I had my lap band removed  last wendesay on the 25th.  I am feeling so much better now without my band.  I I haven't thrown up, had acid reflux, or coughed since I had it taken out.  I am a bit more sore than I expected to be but it is getting better.
I had my lap band put in November 2006. I lost about fifteen pounds and then proceeded to gain about 40. I ended up heavier than I was when I got the band. I only got two fills and then got tired of food getting stuck, so had all the saline drained. For six years, I've had a useless band in my body. Eventually, in 2011, I joined a food addictions group and lost 50 pounds on my own, no thanks to the lap band. Over the past few years I've had lots of sleepless nights with abdominal pain, and I've endured it, figuring I deserved it for being a glutton on occasion. I've just been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus (due to the lap band). Barrett's is an irreversible condition of metaplasia in the esophagus that is pre-cancerous. I am making plans to have this damn lap band taken out. The new bariatric surgeon I'm going to feels very bad for people who got scammed into getting lap bands. He says it was a bad gimic in the early 2000's that wasn't well tested. DO NOT GET A LAP BAND. Lose weight the regular way by controlling your eating, joining a weight loss group or just stay fat.
I had my band removed 4 days ago due to a severe prolapse, throwing up all the time, acid reflux & night coughing were all bad. They MAJORLY over filled my band & did not listen to me. The problem I have seen with most people including myself is they don't really touch on the real problem, our heads, the thinking has to change. We don't need to fit some cookie cutter air brushed image  media portrays that no one can obtain, we need to start thinking of food as a way to sustain our bodies not as a reward or a way to comfort ourselves. Also the food & drug administration wants us to be fat cause it makes them money, we eat more & get unhealthy & both sides make money off it. Love yourself for who you are, we all only have one life to live, just do the best you can do.
My niece has the gastri sleeve and loves in. Short recovery time and no side effects. She is feeling great.
I want to know about cost,,,,,insurance available,,,locations,,,,,and such------------------how to contact???
HI Suzy, I've had my band for just over 5yrs now.  I was booked in to have it out in two weeks & have a sleeve done.  Unfortunately, Pre op tests last week have revealed I have Barretts esophugus now.  I do blame the band as well, I didn't have too many sypmtoms to alert me, but looking back I suppose there were a couple of bouts of heartburn but nothing dramatic. I have since warned other friends that have the band in as this was something our Doctors never mentioned pre banding.  I've since googled Barrets & it's becoming clear the sleeve most likely be a NO GO, for me as well as there is also a risk to a person developing Barretts fromt he sleeve.  I return to the doctor in a few days for the follow up appointment, so now with this result it  will be interesting to see what he says I can do.  It has been suggersted I consider the mini gastric bypass being an alternative to the sleeve, but I'm not sure whats best if this is what he'll say.  I am disappointed with this outcome as I had dreams of losing my weight & living happily ever after. Instead of now worried about cancer developing & what OPs I may have to have to Stop the Barretts developing any further.  Can't win!