Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Bariatric surgery w/ gallbladder removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

My brother had gastric bypass 7 years ago.He developed an ulcer about a year ago, which progressively worsenened, leading to pain and vomitting with almost everything he ate for several months . Bariatric surgeons were planning to operate and remove the ulcer, but he ended up suffering a ruptured ulcer in his stomach and was hospitalized for 1 week and then a month healing at home. After a month he had gastric bypass revision  laprascopically ,which they found his vomitting was related to a fissure that developed , and they removed his gallbladder. They said they had a very tough time removing the gallbladder as it was really burried . Postoperatively my brother suffered extreme pain, nothing like the first bypass, and after the drains were pulled his incisions continued to leak. Surgeon was worried that he was still leaking bile from were the gallbladder was removed, and considered more surgery to wash  him out and put drains back in.( a week after surgery) Miraculously leaking stopped by that evening. MY QUESTION IS: It is now 4 weeks post-op and he is still in alot of pain, lost about 30 lbs, is very fatigued, even speaking wears him out, he cant take deep breaths, he breaths and coughs very shallow. He has no color, is not eating very much at all and is having a hard time sleeping. He cant lay flat due to the pain. He was seen 2 1/2 -3 weeks post op and Dr. said this is all normal he had"MAJOR SURGERY" and it is gonna take time to heal. My brother is 43 years old, 6ft and weighed about 220 lbs before surgery.No other health issues.Shouldn't the pain be decreasing by now? We are worried about other complications he may have had, from whatever was leaking, or could he have pneumonia, infection??? Do you reccommend a second opinion?? When we ( me and my mom) question his wife about our concerns she just says "he looks better than before" and " The Dr. said he had major surgery and its gonna take time" When my mom saw him, she said she almost cried because he looks so bad. Cheeks all sunk in, clavicles showing,his color and the way he was breathing.What is ypur opinion?????