Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Complications after Lap Band

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Complications after Lap Band

My wife had Lap Band Surgery 4 days ago..For the past 3 days she has been passing gas and of course lquid..Sometimes she sits on the toilet for up to 20 minutes just passing the gas and liquid..I can't believe this is normal after surgery..She has tried Gas X and Immodium AD, but nothing seems to be working..Isthis a normal symptom after Lap Band Surgery? This happens up to 10 times a day..They gave her lquid Vicodin for pain and she also takes a pain reliever(Tramadol) for constant back pain..The back pain she has had for years..I talked to her Dr. today and he wasn't much help as he said sometimes this COULD be normal, but not this many times a day..He said to keep doing what she has been doing..She is getting very weak and has no energy..Is there anything we can do to stop or ease this terrible problem?

Thank You
                                                                                        Boake
I HOPE UR WIFE DIDN'T HAVE STOMACHE FLU CAUSE IT IS BAD THIS TIME OF YEAR.  I HOPE UR WIFE IS BETTER. I JUST SCHEDULED MY LAP BAND SURGERY FOR JANUARY WOULD LIKE TO HERE FROM U AND SEE HOW UR WIFE IS DOING NOW . PLEASE E-MAIL ME @  ***@****
This sure doest sound right, she is going to dehardriater if she isnt careful, Did the DR presribe teh gas x and  the Immod. AD? did he rfam DR tell her to conitune or teh surgen? dont let this go on. take to the ER.
wife of
pointman
I hope this problem has now resolved itself.  I know this is common for some banders because of the gas that is used to increase the stomach for the surgery.  it is the way for the gas to come out.  as for the diahorrea, that is another matter.  haven't heard of this happening before.  make sure she drinks to not dehydrate and I hope the band is now settled down and things are better for your wife.
Hi, does anyone know of any programs that help pay for the surgery? My insurance won't, and I just can't get it off, weighing in at 300, and I'm 5'5, Ty and God bless, oh I have no credit so I can't get a loan!
It Is normal, at least it was for me, You might want to switch her protein to something better on her tummy. She had gas because they inflated her abdomen to do the operation and the  other issue because she is only intaking liquids, keep her hydrated she should sip liquids all day sip sip sip: this will all pass. If any doubts call her Dr  
The gas is normal.  Its mainly in the morning and night, nothing to worry about.  She will be in pain for a minimum of 2 - 3 weeks.  Prepare for her to stay rested for that time.  It has been 2 months since my surgery and I am still having pain from the portal to the lapband.  I cant wear bra's or sit up straight for very long.  I am booked to go back in and have it relocated from under my left breast to down by my left hip.  I dont like the idea but I cannot live like this anymore.  Has anybody else experienced this?

If you have Lap Band Faq and queries regarding its complications then i must tell you that you will suffer from minor complications only if you don't follow the instructions of your surgeon.

Fore more information visit: http://www.lapbandsurgeryfaq.com