Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Do Doctors do probono

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Do Doctors do probono

I am a 24 year old female who has been big all my life.I diet and exercise and nothing works. I can't afford insurance and really need some help. Does anyone know any doctor who will do lap band probono??
Tags: probono
You could call a neurosurgeon, but I have never heard of anyone doing that. But you don't know until you try.
I was talking to my dad and he told me that his friend had recieved pro-bono gastric bypass. This was just recently. He actually called the University and asked if there were any clinical trials on weight loss. He met with the doctors and they just decided to do it. How awesome is that! You could try it.
I have a friend of mine, who suffers from rheumatic fever. She has been living in the U.S. since 2000, illegally and has no papers due to the fact her family never had the proper petition instigated and pretty much left her hanging without any assistance. I would like to help her because I can see she suffers greatly from this disease. Her bones ache and she cannot get the medication she needs, (penecillin). I would like to know if there are any sources that can take on cases such as these. I would be willing to pay the costs to help her if they are reasonable. Please let me know, and thank you in advance for your assistance.
My name is Krystal I am going to be 30 in march 2009, I too have been struggling with my wieght I was always the fat one out of my family. my mom and sis always shared cloths and I nevercould. i had tried everything nothing worked it took me till 3 years ago to get where I wanted,and that was from my ex-husband kicking me out whenn I was due in twq weeks to have his son and we had a 3yr old daughter. I was devistated i wouldnt eat and if I did I would get sick. I was down from a size 22 to11 I felt great when I looked at myself. I ended up in2007 having to have a complete hysterectomy and I have been gaing wieght ever since! I am back up to my fat size and of course gave my sister all my skinny cloths and it makes me so upset seeing her wear them knowing that I once fit into them. I want to have the Lap band done so bad so I dont have to go back to my unhealthy ways. I really need help
my name is Betty and i am looking for a doctor who will do lapband surgery pro-bono . I have medicade it will only pay for gastric- bypass surgery. I live in the state of north carolina . Please help me
To a Giving heart, Hi my name is Ryan Jones and I am writing this in hopes that there is a doctor out there in the world that would be willing to help my cousin.  You see my cousin lives in New Jersey and he has been obese for many many years. It has gotten pretty bad he is suffering with a wound on his leg that wont heal and he has no insurance. His health is getting to be well in my opinion life threating.  I can not sit back and watch this happen without trying everything that I can to try to help him. His parents are sick as well and can't help either. His mom has been in and out of the hospital several time's this last year. His Dad was diagnosed with cancer and went thru Kemo, he also had a stroke this year due to a blocked artery he has had two surgeries this year. His dad also was hit almost head on after visiting his mother in the hospital . Well to say the least they have been thru it all. And also his sister was diagnosed with cancer as well, gods blessings have helped them all fight hard and they are all still with us. So what I am asking is are there any doctors out there that could do the lapband surgery for my cousing Pro bono or at a reasonable cost. My family can try to raise some money if needed. I can't write in words how much this is needed and how gratefull I would be. He is a single father with a teenage son, and I dont want to see him grow up without his dad who is an amazing person. He just needs some help with this. If you can help please email me at ***@**** .

Thank you from the bottom of my heart

Ryan Jones
I figured I am looking and asking for alot. I am a 30yr old stay at home mom with 4 kids 10 and under. I've done a few BMI things which were so kind to tell me that I'm morbidly obese, really made my self worth sky rocket. I'm 5'2 and weigh around 250 and the weight is becoming emotionally damaging to me. I hate it, I've started trying to eat right,cut out the cokes etc. but still seem to be getting nowhere. I didn't know if there were doctors out there who did probono cases for  lap band or gastric bypass. I along with many others have no medical insurance, and have nowhere else to turn. I'm sorry if I've bored anyone,I couldn't think of anything else to do
  People, you are lying to yourselves. Yes, you heard me right - you are lying to yourselves. It is more convenient and comfortable to say "I've tried dieting and exercise and it just doesn't work" and silk over it  rather than actually follow the diet for more than one month and REALLY exercise for more than two weeks.
Try this:
eat as if you have veeery severe case of diabetes for about two months.  If you don't know what this means, diets for diabetics are available online, just google it. Later, get on the 30/30/40 diet , which menas that your calories come from:
30% protein (of which from red meats should be no more than 3 ounces a week, and no more than one egg a day),  
30% fat (from fish, olive oil, etc, almost never from animal fat...well, up to two ounces per week is allowed)
and 40% - from vegetables and fruits.  

Exercise 100 minutes a day, of which 45 have to be high intensity, 30  - of moderate and 25  - of light. Take short breaks if you just can't do it on one piece, but don't count the breaks towards your exercise time.
Do the above for ONE YEAR and see where it takes you. You spent quite the amount of time and effort gaining all the weight, don't expect it to leave fast.  A year.  Two, maybe. If you like where all this took you, stay on the same regimen (well, you can actually add fruits and honey to your diet) for the next 50 years.

I know two people who had  weight-loss surgeries. One of them actually had three different kinds of them. It is UGLY, not healthy and potentially very dangerous. So, what is exactly the point of having it?

You CAN lose weight without surgery. You really can.  
I've been overweight since I was 2 years old. I weighed 250 lbs in 6th grade. Currently I weigh 679 pounds. I'm 5'11. I'm desperately in need of surgery.

I can maybe afford as much as $10,000 for the surgery, from family donations, but I can't work because of my condition, so I don't have a way to earn money myself for surgery, and I don't qualify for SSI, or medicare, or medicade, and I don't have insurance.

If someone could please point me in the right direction to a surgeon in the USA who can give me a major discount, I'd really appreciate it. I'm open to Gastric Bypass, Banding, or Total Vertical Plication.

Regards,
Patrick Curl
I've been fat all my life and now due to my weight I'am having all different kinds of problem would love to have the lap banding done but can't afford it. I do have insurance but can't afford the co-pay. Anyone willing to help please????????

I Noticed that there is NOT an MD after your name.
You can not diagnose a person that you have NEVER met by telling them its lack of will power or poor diet.

I personally had never battled with a weight problem untill later in my life...
I have NO problem with Well power ( and alot of heavy people dont!) I am active, I excersise daily at a gym. My weight didnt come off. Its frustrating,
I was diagnosed with PCOS, along with other med probs that I wasnt aware I even had. These kept me from losing weight and it is still a struggle.
I dont spend my days at an all you can eat stuff it buffet! I eat less than any of my "skinny" family members do. I have even been told I eat like a
bird! I dont look like it...but I do.
I took offense to your comment...I found it very Judgmental.
I have bad knees and ankles and I have gained so much weight due to depression I went through.I am trying so hard to over come depression and lose weight. My knees give out and I fall. I do not have insurance nor medicade. I make too much for medicade and Not enough for insurance. does any one know how to get some typed of help from a doctor pro bono? A study or something. Anything to lose the 200 pounds I put on.. I am 430. now. I just want to be able to walk 10 miles a week like I use to do.. someone email with answers.. thank you. ***@****
That's really tough, lhb1979!  You're definitely in the in between where I can see how it's hard to get the support and help you need!  I haven't heard of doctors doing this pro bono, but maybe studies, like you mentioned.  Wishing you the very best of luck in being able to move forward with it!
I'm glad you seem to think everyone can lose weight no matter what.  You must be a very muscular in shape person that has never had a weight problem.  What if someone IS diabetic and they still can't lose weight eating what a diabetic should eat? That only works for people that DON'T haev diabetes.  I happen to know many diabetics that struggle to lose weight.  Actually I have had one friend that stopped taking her meds and although she was killing her kidneys, she dropped a ton of weight.  Of course, she had to get back on her meds and gained all the weight back.  I happen to have hypothyroidism with a 2 inch nodule on my thyroid which means, I have no metabolism.  I was working out in a gym with a trainer 3 days a week and then on my own the other 2 and took weekends off.  I was doing a low carb no sugar diet.  After 2 months of no cheating and working out like I did....I never lost ONE pound.  So we aren't all lazy and want an easy way out.  There really are people that workout, eat right and do everything we are supposed to do and yet, the weight stays on.  So now what do you have to say?