Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Gastric bypass and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Gastric bypass and pregnancy

11 years ago I had an open gastric bypass Roux-en-y.  I had 150cm of intestine bypassed.
I am currently 20 weeks pregnant.
The doctor wants me to do a glucose tolerance test, and I have told them over and over aski I can't do that test, because of dumping syndrome and they just won't listen.
Is there anyone on here that has had the bypass and gotten pregnant? What tests did the doctor do on you? I don't think I am getting the proper care because they just don't understand what was done to me. I told my doctor to talk to my gastric surgeon. Instead they phoned an entronologist that doesn't do gastric bypasses and he says to make me do the glucose tolerance test. I am so frustrated.
Hello. Ive had the same surgery in april 2009. I have a 1 year old daughter. I also had the same concern but did take the glucose test. I just paced myself. And didnt drink it all at once.  I didnt have any dumping issues. I hope this helps.
I hag gastric bypass surgety in June '09..Im currently pregnant. I had the test about a month ago and no dumping issues either..Good Luck and just think about the health of your little one..
Hi I am 43 years old I had the same surgery 10 years ago and 4 years after had my son was tested a lot during my pregnancy and well cared for by nhs in UK with diet take your meals smaller and if you have two eat hourly to break it up so the baby gets what it needs . 2 years after I had my son I lost a baby in the first 8 weeks due to my health and polycystic ovaries this year in march I had gastric bypass repeat repair they attempted to repair some damage caused by adhesions to  the previous op now 9 moths on from that I find my self 7 weeks pregnant with bleeding from my bowl I amgloucs intolerant with under active thyroid and fatty liver  so the thing is this doing finger tests regular and scans and bloods help to keep our baby's safe as much as they get US down they are worth it after losing 2 baby's I say bring on the test keep baby and me safe good luck and happy bump I prayer mine stays safe for the next 7 months so I can hold and love this one ;)
The test your asking about won't give you any issue relay they don't rush you and understand more than you might think I've gone through 2 live births and 2 12 week losses all needed this test and I was fine please don't worry so much about it  11 years ago I weighed 35.5 stone bargaining this year I weighed 24 stone today I weigh 18.4 stone  I had a bowel reduction surgery then 10 years later gastric bypass with parshell bowel replacement and adhesions removal I am 43 years old and 7 weeks pregnant and terrified of everything I do  2 days ago had a bleed called for help and was told sit back and wait  I have just had massive bleed from my bottom and now can't sleep I don't know if it will harm the baby or not so am again waiting I am to be scared Monday good luck and don't be afraid of the tests they help look after you and baby so are worth it  ;) hugs too you
Thank everyone for your responses.
I have went and saw a specialist and we have agreed not to due the glucose tolerance test. The amount of anxiety and stress it was causing me isn't worth it. And my gastric bypass surgeon is against the test because of my shortened bowel. Not worth making me sick over it.
We have found an alternative way to test. I went for a hemoglobin a1c blood test and I am using a blood glucose monitoring machine at home every 2 days to watch my blood sugars.  I am also going to go see an endocronologist in 2 weeks to review the results. So far my results are perfect, right where they should be.
I think they worry about things for nothing. I am not diabetic, nor have I ever been. Even when I was at my highest weight.
I wish you all the best. I hope you are able to have a very healthy pregnancy carry full term.
Hi have had dating scan I am 6 weeks and 2 days obgyn has put me on hormone pessaris to help the cervical stay healthy I have seen my baby's heart beat I am happy wishing you all the very best take and I hope we chat some time
That is great news! What a wonderful feeling when you first see that heartbeat! I hope that everything goes perfect for you and baby :)
So far things are going well for me and baby. I am now 25 weeks. I am going for another 3d/4d ultrasound on Monday. I can't wait. I am so excited.
I have lost my hope of having my baby I have lost it at 7 weeks today hospital in morning to confirm it and then I paste on a smile for the freinds and family we never told I really wanted this baby this is my 3rd lose I am breaking up but christmas is hear hohoho I am forgotten night all
I am sorry to hear about your loss. You don't need to put on a smile for others. Feel your feelings. You have just suffered a huge loss. Other people should be the ones putting on a brave face for you!
My heart goes out to you. I know how hard it is o lose a baby just before Christmas, that happen to me this time last yea. It was devastating. We didn't even want to celebrate it. Hang in there!