How can I prepare my medical trip?
Hello everyone,

My name is Andrea and I am new here.  I just scheduled my lap band surgery in Mexico on October.  Can anyone help me on how to prepare for my medical trip?  I've been really worried about this because of the things I've read and heard.  But I'm determined to lose weight and live a healthy and normal life.

I was told to quit smoking (not a problem at all because I don't smoke) and drinking about 2 weeks before the surgery.  Anything else aside from this? Thanks.

- Andrea
Hi Andrea,

It's a good start.  Determination, strong will to lose weight, and the likes are very important in your quest for losing weight.   Here's some points for you:

- Smoking and drinking should really be stopped or avoided usually two weeks before the surgery.  Though some surgeon may advice you a different period of time.  Smoking and alcohol intake will only increase the risk of complications and may slow your recovery as well.  

- As for other medical or health preparations, I suggest you directly ask your surgeon as he is the one who will be doing the surgery.  He knows what's good for you.  

- Ask for OTC medications that you should avoid prior to the surgery.

- Also, ask for the necessary medicines that you will need after the surgery like pain killers so that you can put them in an accessible place for you.

- It is also advised that you wear loose clothes on the day of the surgery as well as after it is done.

I really hope this helps.  Good luck!
Thanks Claudia.  It was nice of you to reply.  Those things you enumerated are very helpful.  I will have my 2nd consultation with my surgeon very soon, so I'll take note of what you have said.  I just want to have more information about medical tourism, particularly lap band in Mexico.  There are a lot of horror stories especially for those who went abroad but I want to stay positive.