Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Expert Forum
How do you know if this is for you?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Choosing a Bariatric Surgeon, Complications, Considerations, Cosmetic Surgery, Diet and Eating, Emotional Issues, Gastric Bypass Surgery, Health Insurance Issues, Lap Band Surgery, Nutritional Issues, Pre Surgery Issues, Post Surgery Issues, Questions to Ask Your Surgeon, Roux Y Gastric Bypass, StomaphyX, Success Stories, and Transoral ROSE.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How do you know if this is for you?

Hi, I am in the process of getting gastric bypass surgery done.  I am really scared especially when I hear those horror stories about almost dying on the table.  But then, I hear alot of success stories.  How do you know if this is right for you?  I know you have to change your whole lifestyle permanently.  I understand it is not an easy way out.  It will take alot of work but I am sick of being so obese and not being able to do anything.  So, I have nothing really to lose except over 100 pounds.  So how many people know if it is the right thing to do?  
Any success stories?
Related Discussions
1140722_tn?1266356279
go to www.obesityhelp.com for more info and to chat with more bariatric patients directly
3 Comments
Blank
Have you decided on the bypass or have you considered Lap Band?  I had the Band performed June 29, 2009, was only off work for 3 days, had no complications and very little pain, and have lost over 130 pounds in less than a year.  It is a lot less invasive, a lot less dangerous, and it's adjustable.  The main reason I chose it was that with bypass, the pouch they create will stretch over time and a lot of people end up gaining the weigh back.  Once I reach my goal, I will have some saline removed from the band so I can maintain the weight loss, and if I start to gain, it's just a needle stick to have it tightened up again.  I hope everything works out for you - if you consider the Band, let me know and I can give you more details.  Good luck!
Blank
1346046_tn?1297159680
Hi, I would but my insurance does not cover it and I don't have that kind of money.
thanks
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...