Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Expert Forum
Iron Deficency
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Choosing a Bariatric Surgeon, Complications, Considerations, Cosmetic Surgery, Diet and Eating, Emotional Issues, Gastric Bypass Surgery, Health Insurance Issues, Lap Band Surgery, Nutritional Issues, Pre Surgery Issues, Post Surgery Issues, Questions to Ask Your Surgeon, Roux Y Gastric Bypass, StomaphyX, Success Stories, and Transoral ROSE.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Iron Deficency

Hello,  
I had RNY Gastric Bypass about 1 year ago.  At my one year check up I was told my Iron level was low.  My surgery was done in the US but as a Canadian any tests must be done there.  The US office suggested a hematology consult as I have been on iron supplements for about 9 months with little improvement, however, when I visit my Canadian MD I am told my Ferritin is okay so just keep taking the Iron.  I do not feel well.  I feel tired to the point it is affecting my life and crave ice.  I take Foltrin BID and an Iron supplement BID.  (I have been trying different varieties due to issues w/ constipation).  At 3 months post op my Iron was 5 umol/L at 6 months it had increased to 14 umol/l but at one year it was back down to 7umol/L.  My understanding is that normal is 11-32 umol/L.  The ferritin has stayed the same at about 33ug/L (norm 10-250ug/L).  

I don't understand the correlation between the iron and ferritin. Does the amount of Iron I'm taking prevent the ferritin from falling?   I do feel unwell and also am having the side effects of so much oral iron.  The constipation is quite significant despite being on a rigorous bowel routine.  I still have to take MOM frequently and am frequently impacted.  

Will this ever improve?  Any suggestions on how to proceed. I would also like to undestand more about the ferritin.
Thank you
Tags: Iron