Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Lap Band Removal..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Lap Band Removal..

I have had a Lapband since 09/09 it has been the worst experience of my life.  I'd like to know what the procedure was like for you as well as the recovery ?
Firstly I just want to say I have had mine removed and in the last 2 weeks had gastric sleeving instead. My lap band in the beginning was great, i lost 50kg! Then it broke, and I had to have it replaced with a new one, which held alot more fluid then the first, but that also meant they had to put more in for me to notice and weight loss. This didnt work for me because my stomach was too sensitive to put larger fills in.

I put on all the weight I had lost back on plus a bit more. It got to the point where I couldn't eat solid food without being sick. I'd had enough and decided to make the move to get it out. The surgery was very easy, I was in hospital for 2 days and was able to eat normally the same day after surgery. I had to wait 3 months for my stomach to heal and then I was able to get my sleeve done. This seems like a much better option for me, I am alot happier with my decision. On Monday I will move on to my puree phase, its been 2 weeks and I have lost 10kgs.

Good Luck

Therese
hey there,

i also had my band out, easier to take out and cheaper!!!!  for a while im going to stick to normal methods of dieting, in australia we have Tony Fergerson, which is shakes but also more vegies than other menthods and they have you cook books so its great for your family.

therese, i have a question, from what ive read its not reversable, except for a few people and there are more risks, i had alot of problem with vomiting and food getting stuck, which was anoying when it would be toast which i ate yesterday and couldnt eat it the next day!

how do you find the sleeve, better, do you feel very resticted in anyway and what is the process?

thanks
susie
Hey Susie,

Nah its not reversible because they actually remove 80% off the stomach. I find this so much better than the band. Because they dont change the entry and exit of your stomach you wont get food stuck and you cant cheat at all. Once your stomach is full thats it. So at the moment I can eat 1/2 a cup of food at a meal but it will go to the most 1 cup.

So for this one I had 2 weeks of shakes before. I was in hospital for 5 days after the surgery. I am not going to lie it hurt a lot, but after the first 3 days I felt so much better. So for week 1-2 is fluids 3-4 purees and 4weeks more on soft foods then I can eat as normal. There is also less maintenance. I only need to go for appointments every 3 months. I have been sleeved for a month now and I am 13 kg lighter.

Therese