Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Lap Band and PCOS
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lap Band and PCOS

I've just been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and working on treatment. A little while ago, my doctor asked me to consider lap bad surgery to control how much food I eat in order to help my liver out.

My family and I are still considering surgery once we figure out what treatment we'll use for PCOS. I know weight loss can help prevent some of the problems that can result from PCOS, along with help pain management. But now I need to weigh my options all over again with this new diagnosis, because my doc thinks the PCOS could have been causing many of my problems---insulin resistance included---and could have tipped my liver over the edge.

I was wondering if there are many more problems/complications in PCOS patients who have lap-band surgery as opposed to a "normal" patient? Do you think that the surgery could possible help with the PCOS?

Thanks for your input!

~ Em