Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Lap Band or gastric Bypass---HELP??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Lap Band or gastric Bypass---HELP??

I went in to see my doctor for a consult for lap band surgery this week and he suggested gastric bypass instead. Now I am confused.  Why did you all choose lap band over bypass surgery?
Gastric Bypass is more permanent than Lap Band. You can have the Lap Band reversed but not the Gastric Bypass.

I had Gastric Bypass done in1981 and went from 317 to 170. My freing had it done in August. She has already lost 112lbs.

Also Gastric Bypass is not done like it use to. They do laprogospy now. Though some individuals do have it open.

Good Luck on Whatever you do

Barb
Thanks and congratulations!.  Did you have a long recovery process or any adverse effects?  Are there alot of things you cannot eat?
Mary
They recommend not to eat Chocolate, pasta, and bread. Do you have a dr in your area who does it. If so call them and they will send you information. Also you can go online and google lap band surgery or gastric bypass surgery. That way you can get updated information.

Yes I did have some adverse reactions. I gained weight back, but now realize my mistake. I have since lost 30 lbs and am hoping to get back down too 175. It will take hard work, but I am motivated enough to do it.

Also, remember I had my surgery in 1981 and now they do things differently.

Good Luck and keep me posted.

Barb
Thanks Barb-
I haven't had my consultation with the nutritionist yet, so I guess I need to wait and stop worrying about what I can or can't  eat, although the things you mentioned are some of my favorites. Small sacrifice though. Congratulations on losing the weight.  I am in month 2 of the 6 month waiting period, so I will have lots of time to research the surgery and  everything else involved.  Thanks for responding.
Mary
Hi flordia , i dont understand why  yuor DR. is pushing teh gasrtic by pass instead
of the lap band. Yo have to be on  a strict diet for  both any way and lap band  is alot safter.My neice had lap band about 6 months adgo and went froma size 18 to siz 12,.
My wife is aiming to have  the lap band soon has she gets every thing conpleted.
be sure and ask   yuor Dr. how amny gastric by passes he has done,and how many he has done by the lapscope way. I kow my wife went another dr about year ago and they where pushing the gastric  by pass. My wife is choosing the alp band ,because  it is a lot less dangours. so do yuor research.
I had the vertical band gastroplasty done 21 years ago.  I lost 100 lbs the first year and then gained all my weight back.

I had an endoscopy done last Friday and the band is eroding and making holes in my stomach.  I have to have surgery to repair it.

Go with the gastric bypass.
On May 20,2008 I had Gastric Bypass done. I am less than 2 weeks after my surgery and each day I feel better than I did the day before. I am only in my puree phase right now but in 2 more weeks I will get the pleasure to chew again. That first night in the hospital I thought omg what did I do. I will NEVER walk upright again without pain. The sun rose the next day and guess what .. I did. I spent 2 nights in the hospital and then went home. I have no regrets I know I must be patient for the healing. I am 44  years old had 3 ankle surgerys and sleep with a BIPAP this was the time to get control of my life. I did not want the doctor to tell me your a TYPE II diabetic. After meeting all the requirements I knew I was being given a second chance. I know I did the right thing. My goal is to be off the bipap and able to shop ANYWHERE  for clothes.  This was  a 6 month journey before they actually did it. You must go to classes and tests etc. It was worth it. I was excited and scared at the same time. I sit here typing to anyone that is thinking of this option know this is a TOOL  not a cure. If I had advice for anyone it would be this.. WANT it with all your heart. You will Succeed then. GOOD LUCK TO ALL...
hi im 26 years old nd nearly weigh 26 stone, i am lookin into gettin a gastric band fitted but very nervous as i have never been put to sleep before, a lost my dad last year he went into hospital 2 get a toe removed and never woke up so this is at the back of my mind and holding me back, i have no health problems but lately my knees, lower back and ancles are feeling the stress of holding up ma weight. me and my partna have been trying 4 a baby 4 6months and no luck i have 2 children already and i think my weight is stoppin me from fallin pregant. does anyone no what would happen if i got band and fell pregant at same time.x