Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Lap Band surgery on Bipolar PPL?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Lap Band surgery on Bipolar PPL?

After 7 years of many psych meds and depression weight gain I have gained a whopping 90 pounds and SERIOUSLY need help losing this weight.  I have been trying for two years with weight watchers, diets, excercise and maybe 15 pounds off then 16 gained etc....I desperately want to have this 'Realize Lap Band' surgery but have so many questions.  Has anyone gone through this?  Thanks for any feedback!
M x
I had the gastric Bypass surgury 6 years ago. I will never regret having it done. Lost 130 lbs. within the first 6months and have fluctuated within 5 lbs ever since. When my doctor placed me on effexor I gained 10 lbs in 1 month plus went into a depression. I was unable to lose teh weight even after several changes in medications for my moods. Doctor finally put me on a diet pill that helped me lose that 10 lbs but has also increased my energy level to help me get through the day without being exhausted all of the time. Apparently I am at the weight I am supposed to be as I have not been able to lose any more weight. Dropping in the weight helped assist with my moods in the way I viewed myself and how I felt about things, however, the internal emotions remained chaotic and medds are still needed daily. Research whatever action you are interested in taking, talk to your doctors about it, and whatever you do don't fool yourself into thinking the weightloss will change the depression or the moods.
Well...I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with my insurance company trying to get answers.  Of course all I came out with is a big ole "NO" we don't cover any type of weight loss surgery...BUT the woman said we DO offer discounts at Jenny Craig!  OMG...anyway...I need to fight this harder and see where it takes me.  I know it won't make the bipolar go away, but it is one aspect of my life that with improve.  My self image casues quite bit of depresession aside from the bipolar deoresion.

You are inspiration...thankns so much for sharing your story!  I aprreciate that!