Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Maybe Surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Maybe Surgery?

My doctor asked us to consider gastric banding surgery as one of my weight loss options to help with my liver problems.

I've been on a diet plan given to me by my doctor that's supposed to be pre-surgical. She said it's a diet similar to the one I'll be on after the surgery, should we go through with it. The purpose is supposed to be to see if I can stick to the diet and lose weight on my own.

Well, I have. My mom is on board for the surgery and I am... But I'm worried. I've heard of things going horribly wrong with stomach stapling, gastric bypass, and those other kinds of weight loss surgeries. My surgery would be laproscopic, but that doesn't keep me from being worried. It's not really that I don't want to do the surgery, but more that I'm worried about surviving afterwards.

Also, I don't know how to tell some of my friends that I am considering this surgery. I've told some people, and they've been supportive, but a certain group of my friends aren't the most caring people on the planet. At least, not when it comes to things they think aren't important. I'm worried about them having an adverse reaction to the news and not being there for me. I'm also worried that my mom is going to go around telling people, "My daughter's having surgery to make her not fat." I don't want people to see this as a cosmetic surgery. I wouldn't even consider anything more than diet and exercise if it wasn't for my family's history of heart disease and diabetes, along with my history of liver problems.

Can anyone help ease my mind about this? Or give me some more information on gastric banding? I've done my research, but I'm still concerned.

Thanks so much!

~ Em
Well if I was in your position I would join a sport or a club at a hospital and see how your results are there. :)
I have very little advice as far as the surgery goes- the only person I know who has tried it failed. She refused to diet properly and gained back the weight. So while your age makes me nervous as far as this surgery goes- if your health problems make it dangerous to have this weight- who am I say no? If it makes you nervous though, you can always get a second opinion. Personally I've got a freakish amount of family history heart disease (grandfathers died at 58 and 62 from heart attacks) and diabetes runs through my family like wild fire. Lap band has never been an option for me; I'm doing it through diet and exercise- but my health problems aren't life threatening, just frustrating and a little depressing. Just keep in mind that weight comes off slowly, takes a lot of work, and a new diet cannot be temporary. A new healthy balanced diet needs to be a permanent change and a new way of life.

As far as your friends go, I know you're young and in HS so friends are everything. But really I only talk to 4 people from high school. The people who really matter are those who will support you through hell or high water. The others really don't matter one bit. At the end of the day a real friend just wants you to be happy and healthy. So while it's easier said then done, try not to care about what others think. Do this for you and no one else. Yes some may see it as only a cosmetic or easy way out. But you know what, you're young and getting a hold of your health. If I did that are your age, I probably would be in a much better position than I am today.
Valeking: The hospital actually does have an exercise program, and I have to see if I apply (age restrictions and such). Otherwise, the PT I go to has a program meant to help with natural weight control, so I'll talk to them :)

Ducky406: The health concerns are the same in my family, and with my liver problems, it just scares me. I've heard from three different doctors thatthis is perfectly safe... I guess I'm just apprehensive because I've heard things can go wrong. In reality, it's a .5/2000 chance of death, but still, you think about these things. Also, I know I shouldn't let my friends get in my way. What's so frustrating is that everyone supports me except one girl. She's my best friend in my neighborhood, on my bus, and in two of my classes. I don't want it to be awkward, and I just want her to understand the reason why I'm doing this. More than anything, I think Im just going to have to suck it up and tell her to get over it. That's what I've had to do with telling her about all my other medical procedures. She's really in to nursing right now that that's what she wants to go to college for, so she's got this idea that she's all-knowing abut the feild of medicine. (In reality, with my experience, I actually have more realistic knowledge than she does, but I'm not getting in to that)

Thank you both so much for your help! I really do appriciate it!

~ Em