Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
REVISION OF GASTRIC BYPASS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

REVISION OF GASTRIC BYPASS

Hello all,
I posted a ? About a week ago asking what was the best choice of birth control to use after having the gastric bypass surgery, but got no response. Well I'm due for my period now and haven't gotten it as yet. I've been having a lot of nausea, bloating, stomach cramping, breast and nipple tenderness, ovary pain and backaches. I haven't done a pregnancy test as yet, but I'm worried I may be pregnant. The last time I had sex was on Nov 12th and it was after my last menstrual cycle. It was unprotected. Could I be pregnant? And if  I am pregnant, would it be a risky pregnancy since its only been 1 year since I had my gastric bypass surgery?  Would I be able to carry the pregnancy to full term? Is it safe?
If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Any info would help.
Thank you.
Hello there,  as far as the birth control I have no clue you would have to ask your dr,    as for as having a baby after the surgery I have been researching that cause I am about to have the sleeve, and yes you can have a healthy baby after the surgery,  they just dont like you to do to the emotional state that it can put you in w/the weight lose and then having to change up thing w/needing to get the proper nutrition for the baby but it happens all the time and the woman have healthy babys, you should really talk to your surgen about it that way they can help you through it,   that was one of the first questions I asked about,  

good luck
Thank you for your comment. And I have spoken to my doctors about it before and oddly enough I even got pregnant before 8 months after my surgery. But because of how soon it was after the surgery and my rapid weight loss, they all advised me otherwise and I had to terminate the pregnancy. I couldn't go on birth control at that time cuz my eating and ability to digest any food was so complicated that I wasn't getting enough nutrients and my GYN didn't recommend any. It's been a difficult journey and I really want to have a baby because I have a very traumatic history with being able to conceive. Obviously I know my body is not stable as yet, but I don't think I can terminate another pregnancy. It would honestly kill me. So now I find myself between a rock n a hard place. I just need some help and some answers, but thank you so much for you help.
Hi I am 9 months after my second gastric surgery in 10 years after my first 10 years ago I had a baby 4 years after then when he was 18 months old I fell pregnant again at that time I weighed 25 stone after losing 12 stone well that baby I lost in my first trimester in April this year I had a second gastric bypass that was a complete gastric bypass and removal of some serious adhesions well 3 months ago my obgyn told me that due to my polycystic ovaries I needed surgery and that being 43 years old I might need a hysterectomy well we prepared our self for that and to our sock 2 weeks ago I found out I was expecting again  shock does not begin to say how I feel  I have 2 beautiful children 1 is 18 years and the other 6 years I have also miscarried 2 baby's I feel that with this baby nature must decided for US I can't make that decision yesterday I was scared I saw my baby's heart beat and I am 6 weeks and 2 days today all looks good but I have had slight discharge and I in need of hormone treatment to help the baby stay my gastric surgeons believe I might Be able to have this baby even though it is only 9 months since surgery as dose my obgyn so I am going to try I weigh 18 stone so since my second open this year I have lost another 5 stone I am the lightest I have being in 25 years in total my weight lose over ten years is 17 stone so my point is if it has happened and you are there is no reason why you should have to make a decision other let nature work her magic and have the yrs help by taking care of you both with all the right care you can have a healthy baby and normal delivery there are a lot of out there that I hope that you might like to friends me so we can chat but first thing is do the test I find out if you are your Simpson's do point that way as did mine hugs to you and good luck ;)..
Sounds like congrats are in order! I tried to post to your first question and just saw it didn't save, so I replied again. I came off the pill one year after surgery after losing 120 pounds and now I'm at 220. Both my OB and wls surgeon were fine with me moving forward with this decision and I became pregnant after 3-4 months of trying. It sounds like you are probably prego, but a $5 test should tell you pretty quick! I'm only 9 weeks now, and considering I'm still overweight but in awe of how far I've come, its almost like I'm waiting for something to go wrong. But I've decided to be happy, excited, and realize I've worked and prayed really hard for this and will believe the best is yet to come!
PS... It sounds like your post op journey may be different than mine. I've been able to eat and drink 'normally' with no deficancy problems for a while now. If you're still struggling to get enough protein and nutrients even if trying shakes and vitamins, I may suggest a second opinion and a visit with a new nutritionist before you make any major decisions about this pregnancy.
I think I've lost this battel 7 weeks in and bleeding worse hospital in the morning I think I've lost my baby
Well thank u ladies for your comments. They are most appreciated. I am 7 weeks pregnant. This has been a very difficult rollacoaster ride. I am happy that I am able to conceive. That is truly a blessing, especially since I couldn't conceive before when I weighed more, have PCOS, and 2 uterine fibroid surgeries. I have very mixed feelings about what I should do and this is the most difficult decision I had to be faced with a 2nd time around. Im not married n the man that I thought I would end up marrying, the father of this child had cheated on me and pulled a disappearing act right before thanksgiving. So I had to find all of this out in a disturbing and roundabout way. It's very painful n hurtful after he begged me to have his child.

My GYN is still concerned about me having this child and I have yet to speak to my gastric surgeon as of yet. I must be honest with myself and say I am heartbroken by my ex's actions and am truly unsure if I can have his baby under these circumstances. So soon I will have to make a decision and my heart is leading me to termination once again.

FYI: the other pregnancy was for him too and he bailed then also. But of course came back with a sob story saying He wanted to make things right and make it up to me. And like a fool n against my better judgment I gave him a second chance. Obviously my mistake.  
P.S.  @ teajay43 I'm sorry for your lost. Hopefully you'll pull through and get pregnant again, if its in the stars for you.
@ heatherambrosia, my diet has gotten pretty regular now and I am able to get most nutrients through my food with the other required vitamins I am to take. I'm sure I can handle this pregnancy, but if u read the other post I did before this one, then you'll understand why I'm on the fence about what I'm going to do. Emotionally I'm not in a good headspace.
I understand, and see its a very emotionally trying situation. I hope all the best for you... You deserve it!
Keep it keep it .I long for a child now after 3 abortions I regret them .have the baby pray and God will help you .he will !promiss. ...KEEP THE BABY find a cool loving church to help you.they can help with clothes diapers housing all kind of things. I REALLY REGRET THE CHOICES I MADE IN PAST .
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank u for your concern, but my mind has been made and I did actually terminate as I previously said I would. While it wasn't an easy decision of which I had to make twice, it was something that I had to do for me and my own personal sanity. I am upset and very saddened by it. Again I feel terrible and I pray to God each n every day asking and begging for his forgiveness and mercy on my soul. My heart has been broken by the jackass of a man who  "begged me" everyday for a whole year to have his baby. Then when I get pregnant, he bails on me not once but twice and also finding out that he was a cheating, lying ******* was the last n final straw for me. I couldn't under those circumstances have a baby for that man and be attached to him for the rest of my life knowing how much of an ******* and loser he really is.