Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Starting out by myself- reaching out for support

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Hello everyone!
I am just starting the process towards having bariatric surgery.  The timing is turning out to be good and bad for me.  The good part is that both of my boys will be in school this year and I will have the time to focus on improving myself, for at  least a few hours a day anyway, but the bad part is that we are a military family and my husband will be gone when I undergo the surgery itself and throughout most of the changes I will need to be making.  I generally am highly self-reliant, but for this I know I am going to need help.  so I'm here. this is me, I hope to hear from you and be able to help support other as I can as well.
Hope everything has gone well with your surgery!  I am very excited myself, but it is in November.  Do you have any tips for presurgery for me?  
I think you'll do great even though your hubby won't be around. The healing process is usually speedy, for me anyway. The hardest part is the lifestyle change. I had the gastric bypass 3 years ago & still have dumping if I don't est properly. Its a big commitment but I wouldnt ever take it back.
I had the sleeve gastrectomy 4 years ago.  Presurgery is more a mental thing than anything.  You really need to make sure you are ready for the lifestyle change.  Depending on the type you are doing...different things came happen after time.  I do not get dumping syndrome, yippey.  But I found that losing weight quickly has its problems.  I ended up with major constipation and bowel problems, even with the correct diet.  My blood pressure dropped way low and I now have syncope (passing out).  Dont get the wrong idea though.  I wouldnt change for anything.  I can breathe.  I can see my toes and even bend to reach them.  I have tons of energy.  I no longer have prediabetes.  My aches and pains in my joints are gone.  Overall, definitely worth it.  Make sure you do the vitamins and protein but make sure you are getting lots of fiber with it or constipation will hit you and hard.  The surgery is easy.  However hard, dont force the food.  Go slow.  You may or maynot get dumping but let your new stomach tell you when you are done.  Forcing that one extra bite will hurt, literally and start the stretch.  Presurgery... nothing.  After...mental willpower.  You'll do great.
Your bariatric team of doctors and nurse should have support groups for you to go to for free.  Believe me, they are VERY helpful and you are with others who have gone through the same things you have.  Some are there for presurgery support and others for after surgery support. (duh, obviously) It is very benificial though because you make friends and it feels really good to talk about how you feel and what goes through your mind when you see that food staring back at you.  Talk Talk Talk.