Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
Weight Loss for lap band

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Weight Loss for lap band

I have been leaning toward the lap band surgery.  How much weight have you lost.  I have been reading online about what to expect with the different surgeries and am having trouble making a choice.  Thank you
i had lap banding 4 years ago. I was unable to have a baby however with losing alot of weight quickly i happy to stay I have a healthy 3 year old. On the flip sid eof lap banding I never enjoy going out for dinner because sometimes it goes down and sometimes it does not. I have really taken that side of my life out. All protein shakes taste yuk and have a after metal taste...except one that I cannot live with out. So even through you lose weight and your soical life increases it is not around food.good luck please feel free to ask any question ref this you would like
Hi...I had the band placed one year ago as of last week. So far I have lost 80 pounds. I still have a ways to go but I am very happy with my results so far. I have not had any adjustments yet...so have not had much of a problem so far with things not going down. I am very careful though and don't eat white bread or sticky pasta or things that I worry will swell. I don't really want to experience the whole "stuck" thing if I don't have to...lol. I am not sure about the protien shakes that  aussievictoria referrs too. I only had to drink them for the pre-surgery liquid diet. My dr wants all my protien coming from food. So far I feel pretty lucky...and all of that could change when they give me my first adjustment. I love going out to dinner since you always get at least 2 meals out of one...the leftovers are awesome...lol.

aussievictoria...do you drink them everyday as a normal part of your diet or do you fill in when things don't agree with you? I am kinda curious. It is funny how doctors do things so different from one to the next.

Whatever decision you make...just make it for you...and not for anyone else. Everyone has opinions and advice is always awesome but you gotta do what feels right for you. The band has been a good choice for me...but it is not a miracle...you have to do your fair share of the work. Keep us posted on what you decide...and how it goes for you. Good luck.
I HAD LAP BAND SURGERY 3 YEARS AGO HAVE YOU EVER HAD A PEROID WHERE YOU STOP LOSING AND START GAINING A LITTLE?
Hi to all Lap banders..

I had my lap band put in on 16 Feb 2009 and feel wonderful..It has honestly been a hard journey and I will always have to be careful with my eating etc but soooooo worth it...I was 114kg (250lbs) a month before my keyhole surgery. At the moment I am now at 85kg (187lbs) I have been down to 72kgs(158lbs). My life journey is to retrain the bad eating habits I have had. We travel a lot and I have got into difficulty eating the wrong foods and getting blocked so bad I have become dehydrated & really sick!!

I was a size 22-24(NZ) and am now a happy 12-14(NZ) and know that this has been the most wonderful life saver for me. I still am working at getting smaller but am exercising and working on eating the correct food choices as well so anyone thinking about going down this path I say...GO for it...Cheers.....
It is normal to gain weight on your period then lose it when you finish.  Lap-band has nothing to do with that.  It is simply the body's response to the woman's menstrual cycle.  :)
I am having the same problem. Ihad my surgery done 3 yrs ago in August . I love over 105 Lbs, but about 6 mo ago I had to have my band redone and a Hiadle surgery, which I gained 10 lbs from the surgery and I have been struggling to take it off since then..I have alotof restriction, eat so little, I am surprised I am still alive..Not much stays done and I spend a lot of time Throwing up. YET! I still can't seem to lose the rest of the weight.
If there is anyway possible, try to go to an American College of Surgeons Bariatric
Center of Excellence accredited hospital. There is one in Grinnell, Iowa. Many insurance
companies won't accept anything less (I have no affiliation, just a satisfied client). They
provide first rate education for you along with first class surgeons with up to date training.
They have a failure rate 0f less than 1% (the national failure rate is 8%) and a fatality
rate of 0% since 2004. After reading so many horror stories, I wouldn't go anywhere
else.