Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
best choice of birth control & gastric bypass surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

A year ago I had the bypass surgery. I have lost 86lbs thus far and I am very happy with my results. However, I need to know what is the best choice of birth control to use after the gastric bypass surgery? I already had a slip up and ended up pregnant about 8 months after my surgery and due to the rapid weight loss n my inability to consume food properly, I had to make a difficult decision to terminate the pregnancy. I don't want this to happen again. Somebody, anybody plz help!
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. My hubby and I were on the patch then the pill and during it all, we used spermicidal foam or inserts. Neither of us really noticed and kept me from getting pregnant too soon. Came off the pill in July about 1 year to the day of surgery and got pregnant by October. Good luck!!