Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
chronic abd. pain after gastric bypass surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

Three months after having gastric bypass surgery, our daughter developed chronic lower left abdominal pain.  In the past 3 years, she has had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, gallbladder tests, a diagnostic laparoscopy, x-rays, CT scan...you name it.  All to no avail.  She is currently going to a pain management clinic.  They are prescribing narcotics which have only led her to addiction.  Is there anyone out there who has experienced chronic abd. pain post gastric bypass and has had success in finding a diagnosis/cure?  Anyone with the name of a physician and a contact number that we could call who could help us?   Thank you so much in advance!
I might be able to help. I will get my post on "Surgical Adhesions"....  It is long... It was, though, something that literally saved my life.....

Hope you find it helpful. Be right back...

Mary
Please forgive some of the repitititous "sincerely Mary's" although I really am sincere :)

******************************************************************************************************

This is a bit difficult to explain, but I am thinking it would be helpful to copy this information and read it while comfortable so you can try  to visualize the whole thing.

I wrote of the way I did this whole thing. I am sure there might be others with a bit of a different technique, but I did not order anything...just followed the lead of the exercise teacher who was helping me.

The exercise teacher had just taken a course from a woman named Umana and she is from Russia..she developed a program called Body logic. It is a ******* at Bodylogic. But, again, I did not order anything from her, but you should certainly look at it.

I had no idea how painful adhesions are! I am very grateful I found this tecnique. Check with your doctor to make sure you can/should do this type of intense abdominal massage.

Well, I guess that is the best I can do...but, I think it is probably just a little confusing at first...so, take a look again and I am sure you will get a visual in your head. I mean, I felt like Superman lying on this ball...as if trying to fly!

Sincerely,

Mary
********************************************************************************
I put updated info at the bottom just verifying that this really did work (for me at least!)....hoping this helps.

Mary**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
The woman who taught me how to do this is an Exercise Instructor. She said that one reason she wanted to learn this was so that she could teach elderly people how to do it since some of our insides "glue together" as we age and that this releases much of the gluing because of all the blood, thus oxygen, it brings to the area.

In my case, I had a total hysterectomy in 2000 and suffered from surgical adhesions for about a year. The pain from the adhesions started about three months post-op. This technique seems to break up the adhesions and it worked for me.  I figured that if it worked for adhesions that formed naturally in our body, it should work for surgical adhesions. It did!

It is truly amazing. I noticed a HUGE difference immediately. When I sat up after the fist time I did this (about a 15 min. session) I could feel a "FLOOD" or a Rush of blood or something! going to that area. After having pain about 40 times an HOUR for over a year and a half after my surgery, my pain decreased to only about 10 times a DAY for a few seconds at a time. I did this procedure again about a week after the first one and that gave me even more relief. I think it was about four months til I had to do it again. Now I do it about once a year, if that. I have been virtually pain free, ,aside from a dull ache now and then, from adhesions since learning this technique.

The idea is you want to get the blood to the bone, not just the muscle....so it floods the tendons and gets lots of oxygen there to start healing and breaking up the adhesions.

**My instructor told me to think of a steak and how the tendon is sort of splotchy with blood where it is attached to the bone...well, you want to get the blood totally to the bone so as to really break things up. Regular massage is not "deep" enough.

The ball I used measures 16 inches. Again, though, I did not get the ball thru the website (Bodylogic.com) but you can go there and check it out if you want. The website is all about body rolling and about the woman (her name is Yumana and I think she is from Russia) who developed the technique. Anyway, I got just an ordinary ball in a toy section at Target and it looked similar to the one the instructor had used. The ball I have has a picture of Blues Clues on it! Hey, it works. It probably is bigger than the ones they recommend, but, if you think about it, it is squishy to the point where once all my weight is on it, it probably shrinks down to about ten inches. And, I just put my "front" onto the ball for the pelvic pain and not my back.

-------------------------------------
Here is how I did it...leaning my body wt. into it, literally placing the ball underneath me and "rolling" on it...slowly.

I would lay on the pubic bone and then take about four minutes or so to SLOWLY (while remembering to take deep breaths now and then) work my way out to the right side where the ovary once was on that side. After you get there, go back slowly to the pubic bone...breathe deeply. When you get to the pubic bone again, then go to the other side, following a path, if you will, of where you imagine the falopian tube once was. So, you are rolling in something like a "V" formation. After you get to the left side where the ovary once was, then go back to the pubic bone...and, you are done. But, take about 15 minutes to do the whole procedure.

**********************Udated information....August 2007***********************

At first I did this technique twice in two weeks. Then I had to do it about once every two months or so...then about once a year. When my doctor did the laparscopy on me in June,07 (hoping to find adhesions so we could figure out why I have been having pain, which they now think is from a ruptured disk) he was shocked at how "clean" my insides were. He said he actually consulted another doctor about it. He said that you always see evidence of any type of abdominal surgery no matter how invasive the surgery. And, since I had such a huge surgery back in 2000, he expected to see some type of adhesion debries...but did not see anything. A great testimonial to Body rolling!

I always suggest checking with the doctor. I am not a doctor, just a person miserable from the pain of
adhesions.

It does hurt a little while you are doing it, that is for sure, since you are initially pressing on the pubic bone with all the weight you can manage to put on the ball. And then you roll slowly to where the ovaries once were and yes, it is not the most pleasant feeling, but it is a "good hurt" if you know what I mean.

One of my friends has talked about using a Medicine ball for this procedure...but not the hard type. She mentioned the type of Medicine ball that is "squishy." I bought one for the sake of weight training and for a just in case those nasty things return!

Take care and good luck!

i had   bypass surgery a wk ago and been in sever pain since. can anyone tell me if they been through this and pls let me know what i should do....

thanks
jackie
I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and take 240 norcos for the joint and muscle pain and 180 dialudid they don't help in the amount they are prescribed I don't know what I am going to do the pain is no stop all the time and my quality of life is so bad I feel like I am in a downward spiral
After bariatric surgery in May 2010, I have lost 110 pounds in 4 months. I follow the recommended diet to the letter, the few times I did not, it caused abdominal pain on the left mid to lower quasrant. Remember people, this is a major surgery, and requires life long dedication. I also take pain meds for a back problem and the opiates affect the time food processes through our body. Constipation is a big problem, and it can cause pain, even if you are having bowl movements. If problems persist or get worse, see your surgeon, or get second opinion. Drink plenty of water, do your walking, and follow the diet to the letter. Good luck all
I am having constant pain, but mine is caused by nerves and any medication given is not helping.  Seems I had this issue before surgery, and even with a small egg sized pouch, it still continues.
You need to talk with your doctor about this.  If you are taking pills, the absorption is not the same as it was pre-surgery.   Time release doesn't work the same either and is not recommended for gastric bypass.   Oxycontin is not recommended because of this.    Have you tried liquid pain meds such as liquid oxycodone or the patch form of Fentanyl?    Your actual narcotic usage may not be reflective of what you actually absorb.    There was a recent study showing that narcotic pain med usage goes up after gastric bypass.    I wrote to the author Dr. Marsha Raebel and she said type of surgery did not affect results though I have not looked at the actual data to see if restrictive procedures were compared with procedures that bypassed the intestine.  Her results showed 13% increase after year 1, 17% at year two and 18% at year 3.   No conclusion as to why was in the study.   But it could be compensation for reduced absorption plus the nature of narcotics for chronic pain.