Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
drowning with lap band

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

drowning with lap band

I have had the lap band for a year and a half. I have lost over 200 lbs. I am thrilled with the results. Now I have a problem. Frequently, I will bolt awake, choking and gasping for air, mouth full of bile that has gone down the wrong pipe. It is frightening and I have no clue what is causing it.
Has anyone else experienced this ? What is it?
My husband had lapband surgery yesterday and I remembered reading your post and ask his doctor your question above.  My husband's doctor is suppose to be the best in the country when it comes weight loss surgeries and he said that the lapband would not cause this.  That is sounded like another medical condition to him.  That you should see your doctor.  But he also said when the lapband was first started a certain type of band was used that he never uses, but I can't think of the name.  I would suggest you call your family doctor first have them do a ct scan or maybe a chest xray or any other test you might think you need and if nothing comes up I would make an appointment with the doctor that did your surgery or call them and tell them what is going on.  Hope  you are  doing better... Susan
sounds to me to be acid reflux? I have had that before my surgery.
I am having the same problem. If my band is adjusted for me to lose wt, I have this reflux that is so bad I have to lean over the toilet 3-4 times a day and open my throat and stomach acid poors out. I used to wake up at night choking like you but I learned to empty out over the toilet just befor bed. I tried prilosec and nexium and neither one touched the problem. I had my band checked for slippage and the doctor said it was fine. SOMETHING is wrong and I am gaining wt because i can't keep my band tight enough without drowning in reflux.
Ouch!  That sounds very, very uncomfortable!
I am having the same issues.....
I have reflected upon my lap band journey, my weight loss and gain, my emotional health and phyiscal health and I have decided to get a complete unfill.....see how I feel, and will probably have the band removed.  Does anyone know if insurance will cover the removal of the lap band?
i had my lap band done a few years ago and this last year have had acid reflux so badly that I can't eat and I puke.  I was on nexium and have now been switched to priolosec twice a day to see if that will help - so far, i just feel like throwing up all the time...