Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
gastric bypass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

gastric bypass

I had gastric bypass surgery about 5 months ago.  I seem to experience some depressive episodes during the day.  I don't know why and would like to know is anyone else experiencing the same and is there anything I can do to stop this feel of depression?  

I am trying to get in all my protein and water daily.  I wander if I need anything else in the form of minerals in my body?  

Before I had surgery I came across a product called Alvitum a nutritional supplement for pre-surgery and post-surgery rapid weight loss patients.  Has anyone tried this product and if so what do you think of it as far as providing nutrients to strengthen your body?
I thought I answered this post already, but I guess my post did not go through and if it did and was taken off I apologize in advance.

Surgery is so stressful on your body. Also the fact that your dietary intake has changed and you are dealing with trying to absorb vitamins and minerals differently now could have an effect on your emotional well being. Also, seasonal effective disorder and depression can go hand in hand at this time of year. I have not had gastric bypass surgery, but have had more than one surgery in the past. After major surgery, I suffered from depression and I really don't know why. Are you able to get in all the nutrients you need? Did you try and talk to your doctor and see what they thought might be causing this? I don't know much about protein supplements but there are forums Like obesityhelp that discuss options. Good luck to youl
Congratulations on taking control of your life.  I have also lost a lot of weight and feel much better.  I think that food becomes our "friend" and it makes us feel better for a while.  Your probably missing the good things you use to eat to make you feel better.  I have heard that you need to "replace" food with a new habit.  Maybe it could be doing puzzels when you watch tv or going for a walk with a friend.  Are there any walking groups in your area.  Keep positive, talk to your DR, he may be able to prescribe something to get you over this "hump".  I take Effexor to help me feel better and it really helps.  Good luck, keep up the good work, and phone a friend when you need to talk to someone.  Your worth it!
I had a gastric bypass in 2001 I also went thru some depression I think it was because their were so many changes going on in my body. After about 18 months it started leveling out and I began to feel more like me. If I was going to give you any advice I would say don't make any  important rash decisions in your life for awhile . I've heard that divorce rate is very high I think it's because we have so many changes inside going on. Not only does it change our looks but also a lot of our thoughts and feelings. I lost around 150 lbs but over the last 2 yrs I've gained around30 lbs back. So needless to say I'm very conscience about what I eat and exercise hope all go's well for you. It was one of the best choices I've made!
                                                       Take care Debi