Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
seeing the surgeon next week

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

seeing the surgeon next week

Hi everyone. I am a female 28 years old and have gained a lot of weight since my drs turned me from hyperthyroid to hypo using radioactive iodine. I currently weigh 247 and am approx 5'6.  i have been stuggling with my weight ever since. My thyroid is controlled by taking suppliments and i exercise daily and eat around 600 calories a day with no prevail. My endocrinologist has referred me to a surgeon to do the lap band surgery. I see him next week but have so many  questions. How effective is the surgery for weight loss? I would like to lose around 80 pounds to be at a weight of 160. Is the surgery recovery long? Or painful? Once the weight is gone is it possible to have the band removed? Will i be safe to have a child with the band in place? Basically i want to know all the negatives that they dont tell yu up front. Thank you for your time