Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
supposed slipped lap band

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

supposed slipped lap band

I am supposed to have a slipped lap band.  The gp who does the adjustments here in Australia said no slip.  The surgeon who does the lap band surgery, said it was slipped and tomorrow I am getting a second opinion about it - is it slipped or not.

I am having no sytmtoms that you would get with a slipped band - pain/problems.

I am wondering, is it possible to have a slipped band without pain/complications and if it is replaced, what is the process that you have to go through before/after surgery to get back to eating normal food again.  I have been told two weeks prior to surgery, optifast and two weeks after surgery optifast and then two weeks of pureaed food/straw food.  I am not very keen on optifast and the other one I have the dietician had a problem with because it had to be drunk with skim milk - doesn't think it will decrease the size of the fatty liver.

Have had my second opinion this week and he said the band was too tight and took out 1.7 ml of gel to give my band/stomach a rest and go back in a month to start the refilling process again.  He believes it may have slipped a tiny bit - one side has slipped as they are not even but he hasn't said anything about replacing the band.  Also said band could have flipped.  The only thing he said about me/surgery was I was a walking time bomb for the need for surgery because of the band being too tight and the possibility of aspiriation pnomonia.  I also found out my meal replacement food can be done on water so I will talk to the dietician again about this option.

Any ideas/tips in regards to either of these entries.

Didn't like the surgeon - no bedside manner, rude and bruff, hurt when he took out the fluid.

Don't know what to do now given the different opinions I have from the two surgeons.

My lap band was flipped over 180 degrees and I had *major* pain and vomiting issues. I probably vomited every day for nearly a year before going to see the doctor about it (in all fairness 9 months of that year I was pregnant and attributed it to the pregnancy and not the band). Finally they did a fluoro study and found it to be flipped and took it out emergently a few hours later. I dont know how long it had been flipped for.

It was a bad experience altogether for me. I had the removal surgery 3 days ago now and the pain from that is worse than the initial pain from having it placed. The incision is bigger too.

I would not have the band done again if I had to do it all over again. I think its one of those things that you THINK youve tried everything you can to lose weight but until you CAN'T eat those foods you realize you may not have given it your 100%. Its just as much diet and exercise after as it was before.

Now a year later it's GREAT to be able to eat food without having pain and vomiting.

What is a fluro study?  We have barrium swallow to see what is going on with the band and the doctor who ordered it said it hadn't slipped or wasn't too tight.  

You are right it is a hard road because everyone is different in regards to what they can/can't eat.  I think I would have it done again but I would spend more time with the dietician and fills better than I have done.  I also would be making sure that the psychiatrist had me on non fattening meds much sooner than I did/he did.
my stomach is hurting on the ride side and is radiating around to my back. I had my surgery in May 2010. I cannot lay on my right side nor on my stomach. Any advise?