Beauty & Cosmetics Community
Best concealer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to beauty and cosmetic issues, acne, cosmetic safety, cosmetics and allergies, hair care, hair dye, nails, skin, and tattoos.

Best concealer?

I have serious problems with black circles under my eyes, (yes, they are black, not dark!). I've always had dark circles but now when the chronic sleep deprivation that comes with life as a medical student, they seem to be getting worse.

I've tried pretty much everything...Most products are either not heavy duty or full cover enough to cover the darkness, or they don't come in shades pale enough for my skintone...and I'm pasty white!
YSL's Touche Eclat (?)....laughable, way to transparent
Benefit's "Erase paste".... not enough cover & too greasy
Estee Lauder...nothing pale enough
Clinique....not enough cover

What I use at the moment in Lancome's liquid concealer as a base and then Bobbi Brown's creamy concealer on top with the setting powder. It's decent in covering the circles, BUT it's quite noticable that I'm wearing make up so I have to add foundation and a bit of mascara too, which takes time, and time I dont have a lot of in the mornings these days.

Does anyone have the same problem and can recomend either a kick ar** heavy duty concealer, or a brand that does very pale shades? Even better if the product does both :)
If you want something {{really}} thick (creamy too and blends really well for how much coverage it actually provides) you might want to look into the Shiseido line, when I looked on the site all I actually saw was their concealer stick and I'm not sure how well it works BUT they used to have this small pot.. I bought mine I believe at Kaufmann's or Macy's years ago..  it lasts forever because you need practically not much more than a finger tip to cover and blemishes, dark spots, circles etc. It really was a MIRACLE.. actually I just was looking up some links for you and it seems to have been discontinued :( Not sure if you can try and find any sites that still carry it, if you'd like to search it's called "Shiseido Optimal Cover Concealer"..

Some other suggestions for you:
Iman Corrective Concealer.. which I hear is AMAZING for dark circles.
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage... which has ALWAYS been a favorite of mine for hiding any imperfections on my face, haven't used it on the circles under my eyes much though lol
Stila Eye Concealer- LOVE STILA!
Prescriptives Camouflage Cream Concealer
MAC has always been my favorite everything lol so of course I preach their concealer as well, there makeup is pure heaven lol but if you don't know how to apply it right it can come off with that non-professional mess look we all try to avoid- their concealer brush is very very good as well.
Orgins! Quick Hide
That's all I can think of atm lol hope it helps =) Lemme know if you find something that works good for ya ;)
It sounds like you are looking for lots of coverage, in which  MAC concealer (the one in the pot) may fit the bill.  I'm not sure what your skin type is, but in my experience. your skin needs to be made of steel to wear MAC on a daily basis.  A little moisturizer underneath might help with cakiness and creases.  

Bare Escentuals makes a product called Well Rested and it actually does work wonderfully.  It is a powder, dust it under your eyes, eyelids and inner corner - it makes you look totally refreshed.  One important thing with that is make sure you have the right brush - I almost threw the stuff out at first because I was using a regular concealer brush and it wasn't looking right.  You need a fluffy brush.  I ended up throwing it away due to an allergy, but if I was not allergic, I might use that.

I've got very dark circles that are much worse when I haven't slept (which is often with 2 little ones!)  I really hate the feel of wearing foundation and all that stuff on my face, and really don't want to look cakey or like I am wearing makeup.  I also found that one the days my circles are really black, covering them only makes me look fake.  So instead of trying to completely cover my dark circles, I now try to 'diffuse' them instead.  

My #1 trick is black eyeliner.  Some might argue that this can make you look even darker, but it works for me.  Just make sure if does not smear or you really will look more tired.  I do a thin line on the bottom and a smudgy line on top (a quick swipe of Urban Decay Primer Potion underneath holds it in place all day).  Then, I lightly diffuse my circles with a few dots of highlighter under each eye (Clarins Light Perfecting Touch).  And lastly, a brighter lip color - like a fuchsia (blotted with a tissue so it just leaves a stain).  The brighter mouth really detracts from the circles. The whole thing takes me under 2 minutes (much less time than I spent trying to blend all these concealers and things) and my skin has been clear since I have not been clogging it up with makeup.

Hope that helps!
ok hon...u must try bareminerals for your foudation/concealer ...liquid can not do what mineral makeup does...u can first dab the same shade as the mineral foudation on tiny brush under eyes and then do your whole face....or they have seperate little pots like summer bisque that u can use as a concealer...just go to sephora and trust me...and btw the vsl touche isn't a concealer its a highlighter, i dab it on when i look dull....so please trust and get the bareminerals =)
It seems like this year a lot of makeup artists are recommending "highlighter" instead of concealers.   It's tough to find a good color match with the right consistency, but if you use a highlighter, you're making the dark circles disappear because it's now reflecting light ... does that make sense?  

If you want budge-proof - go with Dermablend.  They make concealers for burn and scar victims.  That stuff won't sweat off and wears even in salt water.  

You could mix Secret Camouflage with a little moisturizer, or try their Secret Concealer.  Duwop also has a new product called Circle Block.  A pinkish cream is applied first, then a yellowish cream is applied on top.  
Bare Minerals well rested is good.  I can only add a tip for you.  Concealers come in different colors. Yellow, Green and Violet.  Look at your skin tone and tone of the undereye circles. When choosing your color for you, choos the opposite color from the color your trying to conceal.  Inother words.  If your circles have a bluish hue to them, use green, etc  Opposite on the color wheel cancels out the color you are trying to get rid of.  Just like hair color.  To cancel red, use green and so on.
If you're looking for advices about the best concealer, I found a site wherein they discuss things about cosmetics. It's http://cosmeticsforum.net/. I found there great tips all over the world.