Beauty & Cosmetics Community
Dry, peeling skin, around the eyes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to beauty and cosmetic issues, acne, cosmetic safety, cosmetics and allergies, hair care, hair dye, nails, skin, and tattoos.

Dry, peeling skin, around the eyes?

My skin is usually pretty soft and normal, except for some reason it's gotten very DRY and kind of peely, but ONLY around my eyes. Under my eyes and above them but under the eyebrow. Even around the side sort of. It's frustrating and a little painful. Since it's so visible and unnatractive, I'd like to get rid of it ASAP, lol. I haven't had this problem before which is why it's baffling to me. I tried to scrub it to get the dry skin to flake off so I could at least apply makeup (I have some purple color under the eyes and need makeup to go out in public), but by the end of the day it was peeling again.... Thanks in advance : )

It can be due to eczema. It is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites). Treatment includes avoidance of the allergen, oral antihistaminics; topical application of corticosteroids and oral steroids in severe cases.You may try application of calamine on the affected site. It may work by soothing the skin.

Other possibility is of erythroderma.It is a generalized skin disorder characterized by reddening and scaling of the skin and produced by several skin diseases, such as psoriasis, contact dermatitis, drug reactions, and mycosis fungoides (a cutaneous lymphoma).

I feel that an examination by a dermatologist will be the best.Other conditions like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia and thyroid disorders also have to be ruled out.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

I am 29 years old. I have dark circles around my eyes and I have dandruff too.
I try and put cucumber slices around my eyes but it has not helped.

Since last 1 month, the skin under my left eye has started peeling. Not the whole aread but just a little patch under my eye is peeling. Prior to it started peeling, it was very itchy hence I scratched a bit. This itchiness and peeling was initially under both eyes but now its only under left eye.
I put moisturiser for soothing but the peeling has not stopped. Its not excessive but I can see few skin scales on that patch. The size of the patch would be as big as the size of a chick pea.
Please help.
I have the same thing, except it's also happening on the area between my eyebrows and on a small patch along my hair line on my forehead. I basically woke up two days ago, and the area under my eyes was bright red and uncomfortably dry. My skin looked like it aged 30 years over night. The areas that were affected on the forehead was just extremely dry. It was so dry that when I simply touched the area, skin flakes would fall off my face. I have been lightly exfoliating every morning and applying olive oil to the dry areas multiple times a day and it's clearing up quickly. I'm being very careful to only apply it to the affected areas to avoid breaking out, and it's working well. Already, the redness around my eyes is gone and the dryness has gone from the entire under eye area to just the inner corners. I would strongly recommend using olive oil. It's great for the hair, nails, and skin.