Beauty & Cosmetics Community
Hair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to beauty and cosmetic issues, acne, cosmetic safety, cosmetics and allergies, hair care, hair dye, nails, skin, and tattoos.

Hair

So I used to dye my hair every 3/4 weeks. It had always been long but because of constantly dying it I noticed it got thin and dry so one day I cut my long hair off into a short bob and stopped using dye.

It's been over a year and my hair has grown just below the shoulders, but not as long as it was before I cut it. It seems to of stopped growing, is that possible? It still feels in bad condition. Is there anything I can do to make my hair grow? Are there any things I can do to make it look healthier etc?
One of the mistakes we make is overcoloring our hair. When the shade wanted is achieved it is only necessary to do the roots every 4-6 weeks. Some people have dry hair naturally, but blowdrying, using a curling iron or flatiron too oftern will dry it out and even cause it to break off. If you are doing all these things and not conditioning it properly or protecting it with a heat protectant before syling you will find it breaking off and thinning out. The only cure for this is to do what you did and cut it and start over.VO5 has a good hot oil treatment on the market, or you could use olive oil and apply a cap with heat, but it is harder to rinse out. Cholesterol Hair Conditioning cream is effective as well. Keep in mind that the conditioners you use after shampooing simply coat the hair and make it feel good. I like aussie 3 minute miracle as well. Try to air dry your hair when possible and if you must use the tools that apply extreme heat, use a protectant and spray on hair first. Hope this helped a little bit. My guess is your hair is growing but it so dry the ends are either split or breaking off, a good trim every couple of months just on the ends would be in order.
I think Teko has excellant advice and the only thing I would add would be to start taking a Hair/Skin/Nails vitamin, I tried them and noticed a difference.  My hair is not as thin as it was before I started taking the vitamins.
Shampoo that contains sulfates dries hair as well as products with alcohol. Hairspray too...

So try and find products that are all natural or contain no sulfates. Try using Joico Reconstructor for Damaged hair.  I use it, I love it!

When straightening try using a heat protectant. I think the best is ION. I love that too. lol

It will take awhile for your hair to go back to normal but try to be kind and use as little heat as possible and do a final rise of cold water to seal the cuticle and prevent frizz.

I think too that Neem Oil and Moroccan/Argan Oil is awesome for growing hair out and getting hair to be shiny and healthy. The Argan Oil you only need a little bit and your hair just ***** it up...

Anyways good luck and try these things out..