Beauty & Cosmetics Community
How to stop my hair from being so oily?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to beauty and cosmetic issues, acne, cosmetic safety, cosmetics and allergies, hair care, hair dye, nails, skin, and tattoos.

How to stop my hair from being so oily?

A week ago today, I went to the beach, came home, had a shower, and everything was fine.

Ever since I have come back from the beach, and after that shower my hair has gone really oily at the back. I've tried using different shampoo and coniditioner, not using conditioner, putting my hair in a towel, putting my hair in a bun, using a hair dryer, everything, but my hair is extremely oily at the back.

What I have been doing for years is leaving my hair in a towel for a few hours, then taking it out and going to sleep with my hair still wet, which always turns out fine, but now when this happens, I wake up with still wet hair (which is after 20 hours), and then I have to dry it, and it's still oily.

Has the salt water somehow affected my hair? How do I get it to stop being so oily?
Tags: hair, oily, oily hair, greasy hair, conditioner, Beach, Shampoo
You could try baby powder. I know dry shampoos have baby powder in them to absorb the excess oil. I know Tresseme has one if you want to try a cheaper product. Good luck with that!
Oily hair is a main problem but I suggest you some tips: Be careful with conditioners, avoid using them at the root as this part of the hair is already moisturized by the natural oils (grease) produced within hours of washing your hair.  If your hair is very greasy you may not need conditioner but it is best to condition the ends of your hair to stop them from drying out.
The saltwater may have dried out your scalp, and since your scalp is (obviously) skin then your body is trying to compensate my producing more oils thus causing your hair to be oily. By washing it more often and using heat from a hair dryer you are actually prolonging the process. If it is at all possible try not to wash your hair for at least a week so your body can get back to it's  natural rhythm. As stated above don't use conditioner on the scalp as it can clog your pores, the more your skin is clogged the more oils it will secrete onto your hair follicle. When you do eventually wash your air try using a tea tree shampoo or any other medicated shampoo. (I would splurge on a decent one dice the drug store shampoo has alcohol which will dry your scalp out and start the process all over again.) best of luck! :)