Beauty & Cosmetics Community
My curls won't return.. :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to beauty and cosmetic issues, acne, cosmetic safety, cosmetics and allergies, hair care, hair dye, nails, skin, and tattoos.

My curls won't return.. :(

Have I Lost my Natural Kinky Curly Hair because of Striaghtening my Hair???

i've been flat iron - straighting my hair for 3 years non stop. Everytime i wet my hair it goes back curly but it's been getting wavier and wavier each time.

Well, now I try wetting my hair and expecting it to curl the same and there are parts of my hair that literally are bone straight. I've let it grow out and now I have curly hair from the root and then half straight hair.

Can someone explain what happened? Will I get my kinky curly 4b hair back? Was it the CHI iron that destroyed my curl pattern?:perplexed What should I do?
Your new growth should grow back kinky and curly, but it will take time for all of it to grow. I was in the same situation from perming my curly hair to just make it wavy and easier to manage. My new hair growth was really really curly and the rest of my hair was straight, I so didn't like the look so I chopped off all of the straight pieces and now all of my hair is really curly. Mind you, my hair was very very short after I cut it, and I'm not saying that's what you should do, but that is what happened in my situation. Your hair is probably so used to you straightning it for 3 years that it just doesn't curl as much anymore. That's how my bangs are, they don't curl like the rest of my hair cuz I constantly straighten my bangs...good luck with your hair!
thanks..

I figured I might just have to let it grow out cuz my hair is curly from the root like half way.

I don't like having it this way but whatever. I'll grow it out then cut.

:(
I had the same thing happen to me - except I was only using the flat iron (Wet 2 Straight) for 2 weeks and I have lost all of my curl!  I have naturally curly (very curly) hair and now it's straight as a board after washing!  Have you had any change in your hair?  

Thanks!
Yes using a flat iron ruined the curl pattern of my hair.

i used it all the time and now half of my hair is bone straight and the top is very curly.

I look funny but for now I just blow dry my hair on low heat so i don't walk around with half curly, half straight hair. I'm doing this just until it grows out. But growing my hair out has been my plan before my hair decided to do it's own thing.

I've tried every curling product and nothing. i even blow dry my hair with a diffuser thinking it'll help but nothing. The top where my hair is curly responds well to all this but the ends are stubborn.

Oh well.
Thanks so much :)  
My hair is actually really curly all the way through for once today and I didn't do anything.

I've just been washing it and not using a flat iron on it. I've been using Infusium 23 Leave-In and it's repairing my hair.

Today I used Joico K-PAK Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor and my hair seems to be responding to this and returning to it's curly state.

YAY!
Make sure you do not have a build up of hair products on your hair. These should be removed occasionally. You will notice a big difference especially if you have natural curly hair. Use a restructuring shampoo, or even a little baking soda mixed with your shampoo and leave it on for about 10 minutes.
I pressed (straighten hair for the first 25 years of my life before I got a relaxer.  My hair will always go back to it's natural state. Mine you my hair is thick and takes alot of heat.  Just went back to my natural hair and have noticed when I had my hair flat ironed that I noticed stringy ends of my hair.  I have never know this to happen back in the day.  I believe and feel that it's the flat iron which is made of some chemical in the material that they are made of and the products (protecting oil) that we are told to use on our hair.  I've always used Ultra Sheen back in the day.  I will continue to use the back in the day pressing comb if I decide to straighten my hair.  I'm still researching to see why this is happening to our natural hair.  
I've run across people and notice that they have the same problem when flat ironing at their beautician or using flat iron themselves.