Bio-Identical Hormones Expert Forum
Are Bio-Identical Hormones Drugs?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about bio-identical hormones. A board certified medical expert will answer your questions about the differences between standard hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and bio-identical hormone therapy. We hope you find our forum helpful

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Are Bio-Identical Hormones Drugs?

I've heard that bio-identical hormones are not drugs because they are molecular copies of the hormones made by women’s bodies. I've heard lots of pros and an equal number of cons, but I'm not a candidate for HRT due to my history of cancer and wondered if bio-identical hormones would help with my symptoms of menopause?

Thank you for your help

Sandy
8846197_tn?1400507826
Sandy,

Bio-identical hormones are drugs as defined by "something you take to have an effect on your body".  They often are more effective at alleviating symptoms of menopause, less dangerous, and often less costly than patented pharmaceuticals they advertise heavily on TV and in magazines.

Each patient is an individual.  Some patients with a history of cancer, depending on the type (ER+ or not), can take hormones. Regardless, when I see patients for consultations, I provide information on all options including meditation, diet, exercise, herbals and OTC supplements, and prescription drugs (especially bioidenticals).
4 Comments
Blank
8221281_tn?1397574572
I cannot take regular hormones either because of history of thrombosis so I will be watching your thread. Thanks for creating the new forum.
Blank
8846197_tn?1400507826
Black cohosh does not activate estrogen receptors (safe for breast cancer patients) nor does it increase the risk of thrombosis (blood clots).
Blank
A related discussion, bio hormones was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
8846197_tn?1400507826
Kenneth N. Woliner, MDBlank
Holistic Family Medicine
Boca Raton, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now