Bio-Identical Hormones Expert Forum
Estrogel and Prometrium Dosage
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about bio-identical hormones. A board certified medical expert will answer your questions about the differences between standard hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and bio-identical hormone therapy. We hope you find our forum helpful

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Estrogel and Prometrium Dosage

I am taking one pump of Estrogel daily, not the standard 2 pump dose.
I want to know if 100 mg of Prometrium for 10 days a month is effective in preventing hyperplasia.
I can not handle the Prometrium daily as it was making me depressed and gives me headaches.
Thank you
8846197_tn?1400507826
Promethium (100 mg or even doses as low as 25 mg) for 10 days per month should protect a patient from hyperplasia and uterine cancer. If you or your doctor is concerned, a pelvic ultrasound can be performed (and repeated yearly if either of you feels necessary) to ensure the uterine lining is less than 9 mm thick.

Unfortunately, even though Prometrium is bioidentical Progesterome, it only comes in capsules of two sizes, 100 mg or 200 mg. I have patients that can only tolerate 75 mg, or those that need 125 mg, etc., etc.  So, in those cases, I change the Prometrium to compounded bioidentical progesterone, dosed either as a capsule, sublingual lozenge, or as a transdermal cream.

What you are doing (Prometrium 10 days/month, one pump Estrogel)  "could be working for you" without frustrating symptoms, side effects, or any increased risk of cancer. But if you are having hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, dryness (vagininal, skin, mouth, eyes), insomnia, anxiety, depression, low libido, fat weight gain, memory/concentration issues (brain fog), etc., and or side effects (such as the headaches and depression you mentioned), perhaps your hormones could be tweaked to get you better results.

You can ask your current doctor advice on what to do next. I do not give patient-specific medical advice on dosing adjustments here (and you might not even need any changes to your regimen), but if you need a second opinion, there are doctors such as myself that do take on challenging cases such as yours.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
8846197_tn?1400507826
Kenneth N. Woliner, MDBlank
Holistic Family Medicine
Boca Raton, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now