Bipolar Disorder Community
17 year old son not sleeping

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

17 year old son not sleeping

My son has always had issues going to sleep.  My son is taking 1000 mg Depakote in the morning and evening.  He takes 50 mg of Vyvance in the morning also.  He started taking Seroquel in September and now takes 400 mg at night.  I was told an added benefit of the Seroquel was sleep so they said to take it 3 hours prior to bedtime.  The first 2-3 nights it put him to sleep at a decent hour but no more.  He can easily stay up close to 24 hours.  He used to be on Abilify & Carbatrol with .3 Clonidine at night.  
1. Does anyone know if you can take Clonidine with the Depakote & Seroquel?
2. Has anyone ever taken the Seroquel in the morning instead of evening?

Thanks.
Very Tired Mom
For me what works for sleep is Desyrel or the generic called Trazadone 25mg or 50mg.  
It's better to take Seroquel in the night time.  Try to have your son do calming activities in the nigh time.  I was recommended to take Seroquel one hour before bedtime.