Abilify and mania
I am on week two of Abilify 10 mg and I am manic every day. I transitioned form Geodon thatt was making me drool and stumble after many yearss of use (precursor to EPS). I get anywhere from 2-4 hrs sleep a night and then am raring to go. Anyone else expereince this? I also have difficulty concentrating but my mood has been good, no depression or craqshes.
I am on abilify and it took me a good 4 weeks to feel all of the effects. It doesn't make me manic, it actually calms that aspect down. If I get manic at all, it's hypomanic and a good one at that, so I don't complain. ;) You could be one of those people that have the opposite effect, but I'd give it some time unless it gets too severe.
Any medication can sometimes take a week or two or longer to take full effect while some will take effect instantaneously.  It all depends on the person of course.  When I took Geodon I sometimes would "drool and stumble" figuratively for the former (felt really dumb some days) and literally for the latter (dragged my feet and sometimes felt drunk).  Abilify I am taking and don't have this problem of mania but I also have never experienced mania and as I'm finding out probably depression and I probably mistook what depression is from bad descriptions to me and being apparently misdiagnosed with major depressive disorder earlier in life but I took them both for a psychotic disorder instead of a mood disorder.  I don't know about Abilify but I know I read Geodon had the potential to send people into a state of mania.  "Ziprasidone is known to cause activation into mania in some bipolar patients."
Abilify almost gave me a melt down but everyone else I've seen that's taken it says it's the best thing they've ever had. I was very angry, screaming and swearing and I almost beat my wife and dog. This was day 2. I don't remember the dose. It was low though. I ended up sitting under my drawing table cutting myself cuz it calmed me down. Of course I stopped taking it and it seemed to be out of my system a couple of days later. It was very scary!