Bipolar Disorder Community
Abilify

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Abilify

I recently staring using Abilify for my bipolar disorder...wanted to know if anyone else was on it and about the side affects anyone may be experiencing, if any...

I've been using it for maybe 2 months now.
I'm taking Abilify for psychosis and have had no side effects yet except it interrupts my sleep all the time.
I've been using Abilify for over a year now.  I think it helps.  I have had much fewer depressive episodes since I've been taking it.  The lows aren't as low as they used to be.  However, it stresses me because it has increased my appetite and caused weight gain.  But my doctor and I agree that the good outweighs (pardon the pun) the bad.  She added a dose of concerta to increase my energy and decrease appetite that seems to be doing the trick.  Good luck.
I was on abilify for a bit. I hated it. It stopped all my thoughts. It basically turned me into a zombie. I went off of it and switched to seroquel, which I prefered. Seroquel causes weight gain and drowsiness, though. I gained about 20 lbs on it. I would take the dose at night but it was so drowsy that I would be hung over in the morning so I started splitting the dose and taking it 3 times a day which meant that I was drowsy all the time but functioning. They recently developed an XR form of Seroquel. I've been on it for 8ish (?) months. In that time I've lost 25 lbs and I have normal energy. So, if you're asking because you don't like abilify, I highly recommend seroquel XR.
I'm on a lot of meds so my side effects aren't just from seroquel or just from abilify. Currently I'm on seroquel, lamictal, cymbalta, wellbutrin, and adderall (adderrall). So, it's hard to tell which meds effect which.
Weight gain on Abilify is weird - it normally supresses appetite, Ive lost weight with Abilify as an adjunct but i guess it might work differently for other people.

I like it, im only taking a smallish dose but it has smoothed out the depression and I feel more capable now.
I mix seroquel and abilify without issued only the Abilify has finally gotten my appetite under control and im losing weight Seroquel causes weight gain but nothing like the weight gain with Zyprexa.
My first experience with Abilify was an abnormal one (so please do not take this too seriously, as it seems I was an exception), since it threw me into a manic state; however, my Psychiatrist has come to the conclusion that I'm just wired completely different.  After being weaned off the stuff for about a week, my Psychiatrist put me back on it, but a fourth of what I was taking.

With the "higher" and lower dosage, for me, I noticed a decrease in appetite, less agitation (which is what it was technically prescribed to me for), less paranoid thoughts (it is an anti-psychotic), and more stabilized thoughts and moods.  I still have some ups and downs, but they are less severe.  The only other medication I am currently taking is Adderall (adderrall).

I hope this helps.

HoᴖeyNᴗt
I am on 5 mg and experience twitching. I also shake randomly but it's not that bad. Overall I like it.
WANT TO KNOW can one use abilify without adding along an AD. OR some of you are on both.
thanks
This really helped out a lot.

I did notice a decrease in appetite and decrease in paranoid thoughts as well. I do feel fatigued some days after taking it.

To wj74: I'm on 5mg too but she cut that down to 2.5...I experience the twitching as well. It can get kind of annoying.

Thanks everyone! You've helped more than you can ever know. (HA or maybe you do)