Bipolar Disorder Community
Abilify

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Abilify

It seems like every psychiatrist is putting people on Abilify. I imagine some of this is marketting by the drug companies as Abilify is twice the price of Seroquel. To those who have switched from one antipsychotic to Abilify how did you find it worked comparitively. To anyone who is on it, would you suggest taking it? How has it helped you? I ask because I am on Ziprexa (Geodone in the US) and it causes me some agitation.
I was on Zyprexa and the sister drug Risperdal.... Loved how it took me off the edge...HATED the weight gain.... Abilify was suggested years ago-

For me, abilify worked well enough on its own- I am a rapid cycler Biploar II. At one point I was on 14 different medications..... in the end Abilify was my "balance" I was able to experience moods, but not in the extreme measures that I was...

Personally, I liked abilify- i had that and PRN of seroqoel. I think that abilify is able to get the job done with the least amount of side effects (for me)

Unfortunately, the problem is, what works for my BP, wont necessarily work for the next...Hence all the trial and errors with medication cocktails
Ive heard and read good thing about abilify,it works better with less side effects.Or so they say,I guess is the latest "wonderdrug" youd need to try to see how it works for you these type of meds seem to affect different people differently.Lily
I first took Geodon.  As I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder which was originally thought to be schizophrenia, I experience psychosis all the time regardless of my mood so I take antipsychotics for the psychotic aspect of my illness.  Geodon worked better for my positive (hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, etc.) symptoms and not so great for my negative (loss of pleasure, lack of affect, lack of motivation, etc.) symptoms.  Abilify works better for my negative symptoms.  My cognitive (memory loss, confusion, problems with thinking, etc.) symptoms seem to be getting worse as time passes however.  I however have significantly gained weight on Abilify with no signs of stopping even with exercise and dieting so I'm going to request a med change if this keeps up.
Abilify is making not feel well with swollen neck glands, manic mania that lasts 24/7, extreme thirst, rapid heartbeat and feeling like *hit.

DX with Cyclothymia and was given script for Effexor, then Seroquel and now Abilify.  Dumped Seroquel down toilette and want to do the same with Abilify.

Pristiq was the best and want to find MD who will put me on that.

Peace and love,
IndieMeg