Bipolar Disorder Community
Abilify

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Abilify

If you take abilify or have taken abililfy how did it work for you? What were the main side effects?
i was on abilify for a short time but i took it with another medication as well. My side effects were mainly just super groggy and it actually made me more depressed. I know for me they were better alone as a downer. If i was having anxiety issues they would help me calm down quick. I no longer take them because they just make me spaced out and groggy.
I take Abilify and have for more than two years. I developed akathisia, a movement disorder that stops when you stop the med. I take propranolol, which is primarily used for high blood pressure and anxiety and also takes care of akathisia. I have no other side effects from Abilify. It has worked well for me in dealing with depression.
I took it for awhile and it didn't work well for me.  My depression didn't improve and I had a really bad restless and uneasy feeling all of the time.  It was like I couldn't control my thoughts.   I hated it.  
I took Abilify for almost a year for Bipolar Disorder II, both in combination with Lithium and on it's own. When I was on the Abilify alone, I noticed uneasyness and racing thought, similar to what cowgirlnerd said. I felt more hypomanic than usual, so I suppose it had kind of an "upper" effect for me. When used in combination with the Lithium, I felt much more balnanced and steady. The only side effect I experienced was shakiness of hands and trembling, but that was an effect of both drugs.