Bipolar Disorder Community
Abilify....to take or not take?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Abilify....to take or not take?

My dr is talking about trying Abilify as an adjunct to the low dose Wellbutrin I'm currently taking.  I am not bi-polar.  I've suffered from recurring major(?) depression off and on for a few years.  And seemingly a low grade depression for much longer.  

I'm not that keen on taking a medicine which is primarly an anti--psychotic.  Not sure how this drug found its way to treating depression.  The possible side effects are a concern.

Anyone prescribed Abilify for depression?  And if so, how is it working for you?  Would love to hear your advice and experiences.

Creston
  Have you posted this question on the Depression Community page as well?
Hi Leta,

Yep, I posted similar question in Depression forum but didnt get much feedback.
For depression i took an antipsychotic with my anti depressant.  It worked great for me.

I took zyprexa with Effexor.  The combination was a great success.
I took Abilify and Effexor (seperately) as well, Abilify was the last drug aimed at controling my largely depressive BP. It made me feel blah, less deeply depressed, but it gave me the rare side effect of blurred vision! It was taking a dosage of Effexor which gave me my first flamingly manic episode and caused me to be rediagnosed from severe depression to BP. I'd be very interested to know how Abilify works for you - if you remember to keep in touch after a few months (don't remember how long it takes to fully kick in) and let us know how it has gone. Good luck!
Hi, Creston.  I don't know if I've mentioned this to you before, but I've been on almost every antidepressant and off label medication known to man (and woman).  My main diagnosis is generalized anxiety disorder, with depression being secondary.  Generally, my depression is low level, like yours (Dysthymia), but there have been times in my life when I've experienced a major depressive episode.  Anyway, I HAVE tried Abilify with Effexor XR.  I had to stop taking it because it gave me restless leg syndrome.  I couldn't sit still.  It may not affect you that way, but that's what it did to me.  That was the only negative side effect.  I wasn't on it long enough to know if it was beneficial emotionally/psychologically, but I "sensed" that it might have been if I had been able to stay on it.  Good luck, and of course, keep me posted.

Peace, Joy, and Happiness,

Ellen
Hi!
Abilify has been a life-rescurer for me. I've taken drug at  some point. Abilify quite frankly saved my time & evergy. I had been in therapy for years & nothing helped. Well for Zyprexa, which made me gain sever weight.
I wouldn't want anyone to go thru that hell.
Thank you for the feedback everyone.  I appreciate your insight and comments.

LetaB I will keep you posted.

Ettebette--thank you for being so kind and understanding

tres1965....that is what I'm hoping for, to finally find something which works, even if just a little.  Thanks much!!
Ive taken every antidepressant and mood stabiliZER over the years, and often my psychiatrist would say that he was adding a medication, such as he did recently with Abilify, to boost" the performance of my other meds. I would have to say that I am very satisfied with the results. I feel much better, have more energy and no suicidal thoughts, and I attribute a great deal of that to my current medication regimen, which includes
cymbalta, lamictal, luvox, abilify, trazadone, clonazepam. fish oil.
Before adding Abilify, you could consider increasing your dose of Wellbutrin.  What dose are you currently taking?
Good question.  That is something to consider.  I'm on a low dose (150mg XL) which I take in the morning.  I would prefer to keep the dose low as possible.  But maybe a better solution at first??