Adderall and bipolar disorder
My daughter who is 31 was diagnosed with bipolar disorder last year. She had been on Adderall for ADHD, went into a hypermanic event and was involuntarily committed for treatment. After her release she went back to her original Psychiatrist who again prescribed Adderall for her. Is Adderall ever used for bipoplar disorder. Everything I have read says no. How can I convince her Dr. to not prescribe it anymore? Please help us.
Is your daughter taking a mood stabilizer such as Lithium or Lamictal?  

There is controversy about whether stimulant medications like Adderall are okay for people with bipolar.  Mood stabilizers are certainly the standard treatment.  

ADHD symptoms can be mistaken for bipolar symptoms.  Optimizing bipolar disorder treatment should be the priority IMHO.  
  I currently take Adderall for ADD even though I am also bipolar - one condition does not rule out that you have the other. I am not one to exhibit significant mania and am usuall in a very low depression. Adderall does for me what a large cup of strong coffee would do. I am more productive, active, and positive. When it wears off at night I is when I feel more unabalanced. Since your daughter was seen for mania as aposed to depression I'm very surprised that her psychiatrist would continue prescribing Adderall. Have you noticed her behavior when she's on it being different than off? And surely her doctor has her on mood disorder drugs since being hospitalized. Right?
i am bipolar and adhd(mild to moderate)  I am also on a mood stabilizer (lamictal).  The adderall actually helps me with my motivation, energy and focus.  I do think, however, that since adderall is a stimulant, it would make someone who is experiencing a manic episode, more manic, if they were not on a mood stabilizer.  It seems that maybe her doctor thought she had ADHD, so he gave her adderall.  It also seems odd to me that after she was hospitalized, or even the fact that she became worse, her doctor has not reevaluated her situation.  Perhaps you may want to think about getting another doctor' look at her.  I would be skeptical of a doctor who continues to prescribe a person adderall when the patient is getting worse.....something is amiss.  The adderall I take along with my mood stabilizer, lamictal, works fine for me.  I need it.  I hope this helps.

iluvpittbulls
Hello, I am Bipolar (type I) and maybe I can help from what I've researched.

I think you're daughter should get tested for ADD/ADHD again (and get a new psychiatrist if he/she isn't open to working with you and your daughter-- there is nothing wrong with finding the right doctor) because it is possible she was misdiagnosed prior to her first manic episode. She may have been experiencing hypomania without psychosis and this was interpreted as ADD/ADHD. The two disorders are often hard to separate when their is no psychosis, although it is VERY possible to suffer from both (comorbid condition).

For bipolar I, an antipsychotic (such as abilify or seroquel) with a mood stabilizer ( highly recommend lamictal because Depakote has a LOT of side effects, but there are many more) WITH PSYCHOTHERAPY are the most effective treatments when they work together instead of separately!  
Lithium lithium lithium lithium